Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Burnley model...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It would seem to me, sitting in my tree with the pixies et al. that the club are (perhaps) on the basis of recent signings adopting the Burnley model for promotion. We've got the tough tackling former centre half as boss, and the seemingly less than spectacular and possibly cheaper signings starting to appear. This is not criticism, but a mere observation, and although its a huge long shot to replicate that kind of success, as a gambling man I suspect Tony is hoping we can do it. With the spectre of FFP and the escalating debts of the club, I guess the days of Ulloa, Vicente are firmly behind us - and who can blame the board? The fact remains, although champagne signings are exciting, to say the least! they've not bought about the promotion demanded by the fans, hence (possibly) we're moving towards a different business model with the emphasis on less short term risk, and long term liquidity and sustainability at its core.

Sadly, as we all know, this strategy can back fire badly and the manager will be absolutely key in any success, or lack of, we witness this coming season. The margins are small in my opinion, betwixt the top and the bottom that is, thus time as they say... will tell.

I could be wrong of course, but we shall see.

Albion.

Kosh

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A very very sensible post which helps to partially restore my faith in light of the Ulloa/O'Grady news. Thank you.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Thanks for that. It's not all doom and gloom, with a team of together players working for a talented manager it can be done... do we need Carlos Kickaball to do it? Perhaps, perhaps not?!? I guess Tony's having a throw, let's see what it turns up. It beats burying our collective hopes and dreams during pre-season, does it not?!? Besides we could sign someone for 5 million and I'm proven wrong. Either way it's not a disaster is it? Rock on.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Its the best way to get up, but sadly will become more and more difficult.

Ipswich have been prudent and have subsequently been marooned in this division for years. Not that that's a bad thing mind.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure the board will ever completely turn their back on signings like Ulloa...if you can make a £5m profit in 2 years! Good scouting pays its way, and then some.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Burnley model;

ABurnleyModel.jpg

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don't think the margins between top and bottom are small, I think the top half is the toughest it's been in in recent years. Any of Cardiff, Fulham, Norwich, Derby, Blackburn, Wigan, Middlesborough, Forest, Wolves could be in top 2 and playoffs. It'll be a tough group to break into. At the bottom Reading and Leeds could struggle with their financial problems along with Rotherham and Brentford. I think the division is pretty poor at the bottom and very tough at the top. Brighton have far too much quality to get dragged into a relegation fight, but that top half worries me.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well, maybe not all in all but there are a tonne of examples of managers being successful in leagues they have been played or managed in

All true, but this post is about the Burnley model, and we fall down on manager experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here