Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
500px-Brighton__Hove_Albion_logo.png
VS
1347545576-Real_Betis_logo.jpg

‪#‎
BHAFC‬ team v Real Betis: Ankergen; Bruno, Greer, Maksimenko, Chicksen; Ince, Agustien, Forster-Caskey, March, Buckley; Mackail-Smith.

Subs: Walton, Hughes, Calderon, Hunt, LuaLua, Rea, Harris.

Recently relegated Real Betis face Albion for the first time on 17th July. They finished bottom of La Liga on 26 points last season, leaving them 11 points adrift from any other team and 15 points from safety.

Having led Betis to Europa League qualification six months earlier, Pepe Mel [who went on to coach West Bromwich Albion] was sacked in December following a dismal run of results, with Gabriel Calderon filling the hotseat. The season which had started positively, taking the lead at the Santiago Bernabeu against Real Madrid on the opening day of the season, only to succumb to defeat five minutes from time via an Isco goal.

Then, they breezed through their Europa League qualifier with an 8-1 aggregate demolition of Czech side Jablonec. They then picked up their first league win of the campaign with a 3-1 defeat of Valencia. A draw against Lyon meant they got their Europa
League group phase of to a decent start, and won again in La Liga on 29th September, the opposition being Villarreal – who Albion faced last pre-season.

However, the disastrous dip in form resulted in them not winning another league game until February. In fact, they only managed to pick up three points during that spell, with draws against Levante, Rayo Vallecano and Real Valladolid. Although a run to the last 16 in Europe, only to fall on penalties to eventual winners Sevilla, provided a distraction, an early exit in the Copa Del Rey did not do much help.

Unfortunately, form failed to pick up significantly after the dreadful run ended, and Betis only managed three league wins from then on. They ended the season by losing seven of their final eight games. After Calderon’s resignation at the end of the season, 32-year-old Julio Velazquez has been handed the reins.

There is not much transfer news to speak about for Betis, other than Juanfran recently turning down the chance to play in England with Middlesbrough, where he would have linked up with Aitor Karenka, who he knew from his time at Real Madrid.

The Andalusian side, however, have lost former Wigan centre-back Antonio Amaya. The 31-year-old had spent three years with Betis before returning to former club Rayo Vallecano.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/up-next-real-betis-1758656.aspx#rLMM5xRPXk380Zjj.99

Last edited:

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe a change of thread will help our fortunes

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Good to see CMS scoring another. We looked bright at times but we were overrun at times in the second half after the changes. It was bloody hot though credit to those who played 90 minutes. Dunk is walking ok without crutches now and Crofts said he won't be long.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
It was a very disappointing second half.
Walton and Bruno contriving to give away the second goal was comical.
We had maybe one shot on target and spent most of the half camped on the edge of our box.
They could have scored a couple more.
Walton is tall,but gangly and I would say not ready for Championship level.
Solly looked good again,but Buckley looked disinterested.
Sami has work to do.........fast.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So what was the score then? Not exactly splashed across all the news channels - anybody out there who can give a brief match report?

Please...................

tommyseagull

Jan 11, 2012
I was there. We basically played well first half, Buckley and chicksen kept losing the ball down the left though. Ince was a rock as normal.

Second half buckley was a lone striker for some strange reason and did not fit that role well. We got outplayed in the second half. Few good attempts but the betis defence was brilliant. Big mistake between walton and bruno for the second goal. Good match though but very quiet brighton support.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I was there too. First half we looked ok and I was quite pleased Betis scored on the stroke of ht as I thought it would make for a more interesting 2nd half. However, we were all over the place 2nd half, they were much quicker to the ball and demonstrated superior ball control to us. I couldn't work out what was going on with Calde, Bruno and even Lua Lua. Those 3 in particular seemed to be playing some kind of free role where they were allowed to drift around going where they wanted. It certainly didn't work and there's clearly loads of work still to do. Still, plenty of time, so I hope we'll be fine. As long as it's not as dour as last season I'll be happy. UTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here