Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An ode to Uriah Heep

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
In my opinion, which is sacred, The Heep are probably the most underrated of the 70s rock giants and unfairly oft' landed in the prog pomp category. Well I think that's bollocks. They ROCKED and I wanted to register my feelings regarding this revelatory realisation throughout the world. Thus I'm going to annoy those who don't care, but have opted to open this thread anyway, so they can get agitated and post witty Dickensian quips etc. and go on about how punk destroyed this horrendous form of muzak. Well I'll save you the trouble and tell you to get f'kd now, thus removing your pressing need for a debate on the subject. Those of you who get upset regarding music threads cluttering up your beloved message board, post something worth reading on the subject (football that is) and I'll be the first to join the happy clappy clique and praise you all the way to NSC hall of fame.

For my love of the Heep.

I have many favourite tunes, but I'll start with my current favourite:

http://youtu.be/pEdKcblmctA

I do hope those who share a light somewhere under a distant bushel, find time to give the Heep some of their love.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Indeed you did... I was in Trillians rock bar in Newcastle recently, dressed in double denim naturally and I put this on the juke box... Young and old alike danced in jubilation... air drumming, air keyboard, air guitar and that was just me... An awesome moment. Awesome.

Jul 7, 2003
Saw them in Worthing in the mid 80's on the Equator tour. As someone has already taken July Morning, here is another great classic:

May 27, 2014
'The Heap' featured ace ex Bowie bassist Trevor Boulder - who sadly died a while back, but was a great bassist and smashing fella. So they can't be all bad.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I suspect, from what I've read about the affable chaps, that they're all smashing fellas. Sure there were some egos at their height, Byron and Hensley, but Mick Box (guitarist) and the sadly lost classic era rhythm section (Kerslake and Thain) were purportedly top blokes. Alas Thain destroyed himself with drugs and left the party way too early. RIP.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Have the album Look At Yourself on my iPod and 'tis often played. Personal fave....

[YT]TLCq9X1jAls[/YT]

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
One word, stealin'.

Oh and Uriah Heep live. Had tickets to see them way back when but they canceled the gig.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember Uriah Heap from back then. They just weren't terribly good...................................

They had John Wetton on bass at one time - one of the luckiest blokes around. Didn't really do a lot on the bass, but could sing a bit, so landed top jobs, such as Asia (who were really good) - even if rightly described as dinosaurs in the heady days of punk and post-punk.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Have the album Look At Yourself on my iPod and 'tis often played. Personal fave....

[YT]TLCq9X1jAls[/YT]

Long hair with a tash/beard should definitely make a comeback for the younger generation of men. No more skinny jeans, hair gel and fake tans.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In my opinion, which is sacred, The Heep are probably the most underrated of the 70s rock giants and unfairly oft' landed in the prog pomp category. Well I think that's bollocks. They ROCKED and I wanted to register my feelings regarding this revelatory realisation throughout the world. Thus I'm going to annoy those who don't care, but have opted to open this thread anyway, so they can get agitated and post witty Dickensian quips etc. and go on about how punk destroyed this horrendous form of muzak. Well I'll save you the trouble and tell you to get f'kd now, thus removing your pressing need for a debate on the subject. Those of you who get upset regarding music threads cluttering up your beloved message board, post something worth reading on the subject (football that is) and I'll be the first to join the happy clappy clique and praise you all the way to NSC hall of fame.

For my love of the Heep.

I have many favourite tunes, but I'll start with my current favourite:

http://youtu.be/pEdKcblmctA

I do hope those who share a light somewhere under a distant bushel, find time to give the Heep some of their love.

I got through almost two minutes of that nonsense, before I started gagging on the sickening stench of petunia oil.

For underrated rock gods of the pre-punk era, I would recommend Nazareth.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Don't know that much about UH, but I LOVE the song Time to Live from Salisbury. The wah solos get me every time, and although the lyrics are a bit corny, I find them strangely touching.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
...those who share a light somewhere under a distant bushel...

It was from a Mick Box interview in the NME in the late 70s that I first heard the old chestnut about crapping in a paper bag, placing it on someone's doorstep, setting light to it, ringing the doorbell, then watching the fun as the person opens the door and stamps out the flames. Is that what you meant by "light under a distant bushel"? Although the NME would have preferred a light under a distant Garry Bushell, who was writing for Sounds at the time...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Oh, and I saw Uriah Heep at the Dome in 1977. Used to love Return to Fantasy. But in my defence I was only 15 at the time. I don't think I've played a Heep song since I turned 16.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here