Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taxi Driver - Overrated

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Alarmingly off-topic but I feel I've been let down.

I'm a big film-buff and although the following may suggest otherwise; I've just watched Taxi Driver for the first time.

It's regarded as an 'all-time great' by many as well as one of Scorsese's best.

I didn't really like it.

I love Scorsese and I love De Niro, but I didn't love this film.

I 'got it', but I just didn't really enjoy it.

Just me?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
By surprising co-incidence I bought this very film today second hand. I shall give it a watch and report back.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Found the first edition paperback on holiday in New Mexico last October. Brilliant. Can't vouch for the film though.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wasn't particularly enamoured with it. Didn't think it was particularly bad, but certainly didn't think it lived up to the hype.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Is this just a Brighton thing? A fella took me from Brixton to Hackney last saturday and he was top notch.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
An absolutely brilliant film. You must have been in a bad mood. A classic.

Just you.

you mean like in a wanting to raise the black flag and begin to slit throats type of bad mood?

Edit:sorry i thought your reply stated-you had to be in a bad mood to watch the film,for it to work..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Alarmingly off-topic but I feel I've been let down.

I'm a big film-buff and although the following may suggest otherwise; I've just watched Taxi Driver for the first time.

It's regarded as an 'all-time great' by many as well as one of Scorsese's best.

I didn't really like it.

I love Scorsese and I love De Niro, but I didn't love this film.

I 'got it', but I just didn't really enjoy it.

Just me?

After several threads on NSC in the past few days by a certain taxi driver its no wonder you didn't enjoy it :lol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have to say that I agree with the OP. See also Mean Streets. It might just be that I watched them when I was too young to appreciate them and that if I saw them both again now I'd have more of an appreciation, as oppposed to regarding them as slow films where not a lot happens and you're supposed to love them regardless because it's the done thing.

(CM Disclaimer - this was written under the influence of two stiff G&Ts)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have to say that I agree with the OP. See also Mean Streets. It might just be that I watched them when I was too young to appreciate them and that if I saw them both again now I'd have more of an appreciation, as oppposed to regarding them as slow films where not a lot happens and you're supposed to love them regardless because it's the done thing.

Mean Streets is also wonderful. In my humble opinion, like.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

CM: please start a G&T thread. For me. Lots of gin, even more ice, citrus fruit, not much tonic. Tall glass. Haven't had one in ages, but just typing that is making me salivate after some white, some red and an armagnac.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A violent but thought provoking film, whereas lots of modern films are violent and just violent, see Tarantino,Q.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here