Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Hippodrome

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Live venues old and new seem to be disappearing left right and center in Brighton

One of the older venues Brighton Hippodrome is being sought for a cinema complex (please note we have four already in Brighton!)

We do lack world class performance venues or possibly an ice rink - this petition could lead way to the public having a voice in this movement.

Please sign this... it takes a few seconds.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/keep-brighton-hippodrome-for-live-performance

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Out of interest when was the last live show at the Hippodrome?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No theatre company in this town can afford to keep it a live venue and I'd rather see it used for a cinema than see it continue to rot and get covered in pigeon crap. Some films are quite good.

Sign the petition but unless you back it with cash it's pointless.

Sign the petition for it to remain a rotting eyesore? No ta.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What caused the declining interest in variety theatre that led to the venue's problems?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Out of interest when was the last live show at the Hippodrome?

I won a tenner at bingo for a line in about 79 on a Sunday afternoon when the pubs shut...about 500 grannies looked up at the balcony in disgust at a teenage boy stealing their money
Wonderful venue whatever use it is put to, if you havn't seen you'd be amazed

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can remember seeing Christmas panto with Roy Castle as buttons over fifty years ago and it was packed.
We need to save it archer out

I remember seeing loads of pop concerts there in the 60'6 - The Hollies, The Searchers, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, those sort of people.

But Nibble is right, if it can't earn it's keep as a live venue today then converting it to a cinema or something else is a better better than leaving it empty, otherwise it will go the way of the West Pier.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I was in the military and caught the train from Plymouth in the early sixties to meet my mates at the Hippodrome to see The Beatles, Roy Orbison, Gerry & The Pacemakers and Louise Cordet. Bloody brilliant other than I was late back to barracks and spent the next three days quick marching around the parade square with a regimental policeman stuck to my arse. Well not exactly stuck to it ! :D

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I can remember seeing Christmas panto with Roy Castle as buttons over fifty years ago and it was packed.
We need to save it archer out

I used to go to the panto there every year in the early 50s. My dad worked for the impresario Prince Littler who put on the shows so we always got best seats. Particularly remember Jimmy Edwards one year ... very funny.

All possible should be done to keep the place as a live music/theatre venue.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The BHCC Planning Committee has voted 8-4 in favour of a 8 screen cineplex

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Wonderful shows there I remember from the 50's. Max Bygraves; Tommy Cooper; Frankie Vaughan, Peter Brough and Archie Andrews. Then there was Carousel, Follies Bergere, and the pantomines were awesome too. Great thing was the musical director Sydney Sharp ? used to catch the 5b bus home in his dj with a brief case carrying the music score. Great memories but I doubt that today the money could be found to redo the building and sustain live theatre.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I used to go to the panto there every year in the early 50s. My dad worked for the impresario Prince Littler who put on the shows so we always got best seats. Particularly remember Jimmy Edwards one year ... very funny.

All possible should be done to keep the place as a live music/theatre venue.

I'd forgotten about Jimmy Edwards, very funny. I remember a tv series he did called 'The Three Faces of Jimmy' he played a headmaster with three current families who didn't know the others existed. And was up to his eyeballs in administrative problems trying to remember who was who, and trying to keep them apart from each other. :D

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Why do we need another cinema? Aren't they dying on their arses anyway? Can't remember the last time I went to see a film and the place was even close to half full.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I visited the museum behind the Pavilion about 10 years ago, and seem to remember the exhibition saying that Brighton once had three mainstream theatres, of which the Theatre Royal was the only one still going (presumably they weren't counting the Gardner Arts Centre as it was only built with the university and considered the Komedia to be a fringe venue). If the Theatre Royal was one and the Hippodrome another, where was the third? Was the Gloucester originally a theatre?

Talking of the Hippodrome, I didn't know it was there until I walked down Middle Street on my way to a gig at the Brighton Centre (though there may have been a thread on here before then - the old memory is fading somewhat).

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The Astoria?

Astoria.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I remember seeing loads of pop concerts there in the 60'6 - The Hollies, The Searchers, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, those sort of people.

But Nibble is right, if it can't earn it's keep as a live venue today then converting it to a cinema or something else is a better better than leaving it empty, otherwise it will go the way of the West Pier.

The West Pier saga is what I first thought of when I saw so many people asking to save it, but without a firm plan in place. Planning laws don't generally cater for emotional appeals...

Why do we need another cinema? Aren't they dying on their arses anyway? Can't remember the last time I went to see a film and the place was even close to half full.

... however, this is correct too. Not because cinemas aren't full, but because I believe Brighton is adequately catered for already.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I visited the museum behind the Pavilion about 10 years ago, and seem to remember the exhibition saying that Brighton once had three mainstream theatres, of which the Theatre Royal was the only one still going (presumably they weren't counting the Gardner Arts Centre as it was only built with the university and considered the Komedia to be a fringe venue). If the Theatre Royal was one and the Hippodrome another, where was the third? Was the Gloucester originally a theatre?

Talking of the Hippodrome, I didn't know it was there until I walked down Middle Street on my way to a gig at the Brighton Centre (though there may have been a thread on here before then - the old memory is fading somewhat).

What about The Essoldo ?
It had the capacity, with both a circle and a higher balcony. It held concerts - I confess to seeing Cliff Richard and the Shadows there when they were absolutely at the top of the girls scream lists in the early 60's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here