Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Fontaine

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
According to a Bristol City fan, we are interested in signing Liam Fontaine to provide cover in defence.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
1) we don't need another central defender and...
2) the internet says he is a free agent
3) we don't need another centre back

I realise 3 is the same as 1 but I felt the need to emphasise that we don't need him.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Currently on a free transfer after being released for a mid table league one side. Money must be even tighter than we thought if we are considering signing him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
1) we don't need another central defender and...
2) the internet says he is a free agent
3) we don't need another centre back

I realise 3 is the same as 1 but I felt the need to emphasise that we don't need him.

Think we need another one personally and one that is happy to be almost a permanant bench warmer.

2 players per position is the aim surely

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
4 minimum. One long term injury and we would be in trouble.

He played five games for Yeovil last season, despite joining them on loan last September. If Greer, Dunk and Hughes are the first three options, then why not have faith in Maxi or Rea to make the step up for the fourth spot?

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Think we need another one personally and one that is happy to be almost a permanant bench warmer.

That role is for Maxi and Rea to fight over.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He played five games for Yeovil last season, despite joining them on loan last September. If Greer, Dunk and Hughes are the first three options, then why not have faith in Maxi or Rea to make the step up for the fourth spot?

Snap!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

I agree in terms of depth in the squad but with Greer, Hughes, Dunk, Maxi and Rea (not to mention Dallison who is supposedly a great prospect) all occupying centre back I'd rather concentrate our efforts on signing a left back

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets be honest on plenty of occasions last season Greer looked less than dependable, and was saved by Upson.
He and Hughes WILL be injured this season, if that happens at the same time, we'll be left with Dunk & one of Calde, Maxi, Rae or Dallison.
All fine and dandy for a game or two.
But that's not the central defence we'd want for a month or two.

One more experienced centre back, on a free earning a comparatively smaller wage, wouldn't hurt the squad, in such a crucial position.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd rather concentrate our efforts on signing a left back
I believe, although I may be wrong, but I believe the club is able to recruit more than one position at a time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lets be honest on plenty of occasions last season Greer looked less than dependable, and was saved by Upson.
He and Hughes WILL be injured this season, if that happens at the same time, we'll be left with Dunk & one of Calde, Maxi, Rae or Dallison.
All fine and dandy for a game or two.
But that's not the central defence we'd want for a month or two.

One more experienced centre back, on a free earning a comparatively smaller wage, wouldn't hurt the squad, in such a crucial position.

How big a squad do you actually want? How do you know that both Greer and Hughes will be injured for the same period! We have plenty of cover as unlikely they will both be out for long periods.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How big a squad do you actually want? How do you know that both Greer and Hughes will be injured for the same period! We have plenty of cover as unlikely they will both be out for long periods.
I didn't say at the same time, but both players are of an age, neither will play through the season regardless of fitness.
They will both have injuries, because that's what footballers do.

Did we anticipate 8 attacking players out for 3 games last season - no.
Did it happen - yes.

With one more experienced head, on the bench, Rae and Dallison could go on loan, and gain the match day experience they need.

Next season ('15/'16) we should be overrun with talented young centre halves, esp with Sami at the helm, and Greer Hughes gone.
But it's too soon this season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seems about right for our budget

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here