Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC1 - Immigration - now

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Apparently 8 million people in England born outside of UK, 1 in 3 in London are immigrants. I am very unsure of the accuracy of these figures, and maybe I am quoting out of context, but if correct? JEEZ!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I don't have a problem with that. London is an amazing city, and such figures, I suspect, are not uncommon for capital cities.

As for the overall figure, we live in a transient world. My only concern about mass immigration in short time spans is the implications for infrastructure.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Isn't that pretty much exactly balanced out by the same number of English people living abroad?
Eight million spread amongst the world/eight million spread amongst 45 million?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Apparently 8 million people in England born outside of UK, 1 in 3 in London are immigrants. I am very unsure of the accuracy of these figures, and maybe I am quoting out of context, but if correct? JEEZ!

This is a very good impartial site for checking the validity of such figures:

https://fullfact.org/immigration/

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Typical.
English people can't spell and are lazy.
Oh,we should all live together now,19.to a house at least.

How did we manage before 2004.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would say to the couple in Ilford that the world does change, they did not seem too keen to do so.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Looking forward to watching this programme on I player. gather it's a two parter looking at both sides of the argument today and tomorrow night. So won't be rushing to judgement until i've watched both.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Been watching BBC2. Hive Alive and then Coast. Far more educational than yet another immigration programme.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Been watching BBC2. Hive Alive and then Coast. Far more educational than yet another immigration programme.
One of the biggest issues facing the UK and Europe right now, but nature programmes can be a refuge from the real world.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
One of the biggest issues facing the UK and Europe right now, but nature programmes can be a refuge from the real world.

It's important not to forget that the mass movement of populations is a much bigger issue elsewhere-made worse by the fact that much of it is displacement. This is the biggest, and most important, problem concerning any form of population movement on the planet for all countries to consider.

I've had a look online for reliable data. UNHCR is best.

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49c3646c4d6.html

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

If this is true, I can't understand why it's a problem. I couldn't care less where my neighbours were born

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Both featured - in part - items on maintaining the food chain and how it works. Tell me the biggest issue you face is the language your neighbour speaks when there's no fish or honey in the supermarkets and the price of every other fresh item has gone up like a Chelsea bedsit as a result.

Coast also featured a story about a troop ship that sank off the Isle of Wight in 1917 losing all aboard. You've probably never heard of it because they were black South Africans fighting for an Empire that was oppressing them. Some immigrants have earned it in exactly the terms NSCs right demand and yet you'd rather listen to some James Blunt from Essex than educate yourselves about the historical perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here