Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What position requires a 7 figure signing?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We seem to be a little hung up on money.
I've said before 'oh we'll get a couple of £1m+ players in', but it's occurred to me, where?

Assuming Ulloa stays, as clearly his replacement will have to be a big money buy.

Ward isn't a 7 figure signing, and if he didn't come. neither will his replacement.
With new chap the defence is sortedish, barring some cover.
Surely we have enough midfielders and wingers.
Ulloa, CMS, + 1 or 2 third string strikers.

So the club either goes big on a goalie or we won't be signing any big money players.

All of a sudden the need to break the bank seems a little unnecessary, which is going to screw with a fair few supporters brains.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
People just sem to want us to spend money, they don't necessarily care where it goes, just spending for the sake of it. Of course, it's easy to spend other peoples' money. Me, I'll wait to see who we get in, preferably bargains if possible, but until I know otherwise, I'll trust those in the club.

Stumpy Tim

We need someone who can play in the inside attacking role with some pace - someone like Lingard. I would love us to splash some money on him actually. Scored a goal every 4 games for us, which is a decent scoring record for that position.

If Ulloa goes, then obviously we need to spend big to replace him

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
I think that with FFP and the premiership squads, there will be some really good talent around for free. I'd rather we used the money on wages (see Koosh, Bridge, Upson, Ward, Lingard).

*edit* Seeing post above, a Lingard type player if they became available (but the premiership will have most of them signed up).

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
NONE (if we keep Ulloa)

Ward
Keeper (I'd be happy with the England Under 19 Starter though, we've clamoured to buy similar to start in the past)
3rd choice striker doesn't need to be that expensive if we often play 1 up top, if we're playing two though then need a damn good one who could easily be on loan or a FA

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
I heard a (highly unsubstantiated) rumour about that actually. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he did come back

I know from the man himself that he enjoyed it here and wanted an extension (but he would say that to a fan, wouldn't he ?)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I suggested a few months ago that we wont make any 7 figure signings and I got ridiculed.

I have no problem with the Club being prudent and agree that the squad doesn't need a lot of money spent on it. We will see the full impact of FFP NEXT season and by that time more of the youngsters (March, Ince, Caskey, Dunk, Macksimenko and even Fenelon, Harris and Walton?) will have good match experience.

I would like us to spend a large sum on a quick direct attacking midfielder because that's the area the area the squad has been crying out for but its not essential and I wont be holding my breath.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Still don't understand this need to actually spend money - if the right players are available for little or no money then there's no need to throw money around. We're not as stupidly run as other teams.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why isn't Crofts the answer to our 'direct attacking midfielder' problem.

We were certainly a different side without him.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We need a decent creative player, preferably one who's also good at free kicks, corners and penalties.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm with Stumpy Tim and Watford Zero: we need to spend -- on transfer fee and/or wages -- on a wide attacking player that scores goals. Lingard springs to mind, but can only really see him coming here on loan, and think it's more likely that he spends a year at a PL club next season.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
wide attacking player
not sure if Buckley will ever be fully fit
not sure if Lua Lua even if fully fit
will score the goals and make the assists to challenge at the top
of a strong competitive league.
for me quality out wide has been the weakness in the championship

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If Lingard goes to a PL club he will be a bench player at best.
Would e pect him to go to a new club on loan to broaden his experience but more likely Fulham or one of the obvuius championship front runners.

Can see spunking cash on a couple of strikers and maybe a winger but nothing massive (unless Glen Murray becomes available :lolol:)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've got a 15 year old grandson who can do all of those.

My player on Fifa 14 can do all those as well. I'm available for about £2.5m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here