Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Academy

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think those idiots just want us to overspend on the quality proven players to be fair... Also we all know about this German change thanks to youth, quite a few people watched that little old match in Rio last night.

Is this just a late night meltdown?

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Mainly for the benefit of that "I'm a taxi" bloke who claimed we are potless. It makes good reading though and quite rightly the whole world saw the benefits. Do you not feel a tad envious?
Their playing budget looks familiar :)

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I definitely feel envious of them, they played some fantastic football that I hope Sami has been studying deeply this past few seasons!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
For those of you who are too mentally challenged to understand the importance of an academy and believe the club should spend millions plus wages we do not have on hasbeen or second rate players this is for you.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent
That Guardian piece is a good read and illustrates perfectly the difference between German and English thinking - not just in football. Sadly, it also illustrates perfectly why English football is unlikely to bring about the changes that are required.

Thankfully, we have a chairman who sees value in an Academy and although I'm sure he'd love us to be in the PL right now he knows that the Academy route is the way forward long term. Our fans need to see the long term big picture for the club instead of screaming for us to follow the unsustainable ways of the PL.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Academies are only good if the people working within them know what they are doing.

Too many clubs and Brighton are definitely included in this, have coaches with little or no experience of coaching children and youth players at grassroots level and this means that whilst they may be able to deliver sessions, they have no idea how to manage the players.

No matter how much money is spent on facilities, the Albions youth academy will only be a success if they

A) learn to get the support of local grassroots clubs through joint development plans for players

B) employ the right coaches who can effectively deliver sessions and who can manage each of their players.

Stumpy Tim

To be fair, changes are being made. Yes it's different from the German system, but the Germans themselves say England need to follow their own route. There are two things that strike me:
(1) This is the first world cup where England players didn't look out of their depth in terms of technical ability. We passed the ball well & if it wasn't for a poor defence we would have beaten both Italy & Uruguay
(2) The real weakness in our game is the lack of opportunities for players between 19 and 23. Instead of the reserve team leagues, why don't the FA incentivise Premier League clubs to put their top young English talent out on loan to the Championship? The Championship is one of the best leagues in the world & it's under-used.

This is a good read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28295153

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
English coaches with Uefa's B/A/Pro badges = 2,769.
Germany 34,970.

It costs five times more to do the qualifications here. All the while this is the case we'll always be lagging behind as a nation

matt

Mar 19, 2007
This is the first world cup where England players didn't look out of their depth in terms of technical ability. We passed the ball well & if it wasn't for a poor defence we would have beaten both Italy & Uruguay

Genuine rather than smartarse question: What is 'technical ability' and why would poor defending not be considered a technical shortcoming?

Stumpy Tim

Genuine rather than smartarse question: What is 'technical ability' and why would poor defending not be considered a technical shortcoming?

The normal failing of England is not being able to control a football and not being able to string passes together & retain possession. Even the biggest critic has to admit we were actually pretty good at that this time. You're right though, poor defending is a technical shortcoming, but IMO a lot of that is down to positional play & awareness. So England do now seem to be learning the basics when we have the ball. Unfortunately we don't have the defenders to stop world class players like Suarez.

I hope Roy takes a player like Stones or Phil Jones, and plays him alongside Cahill for a couple of years - no more switching about. Hopefully he'll also change the full-backs - so Luke Shaw & Flanagan play regularly. Outside the back-four, I think England are actually well-stocked

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A note of caution.

Building a £20m academy won't generate 'local talent' for quite some time.
(I can see that being the next stick to beat the club with)

The club, I assume Burke, (the beatenest of a stick beaties) seems to have a keen eye at cherry picking Premier League youngsters, and developing them on.
I'd imagine the facility and a path to first team football is a great motivator.

But as for finding Billy Scrotum 'the Southwick rough diamond' kicking the ball around with his mates, the club is still a little way off.
But clearly heading in the right direction at an accelerated rate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For those of you who are too mentally challenged to understand the importance of an academy and believe the club should spend millions plus wages we do not have on hasbeen or second rate players this is for you.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

Thanks for posting this, it really is a fantastic insight into the transformation that has taken place in German football. But it's also indicative of an entirely different culture to what we have in this country, and the stranglehold that the PL, Murdoch and the big clubs have on the game. It appears that Gary Neville is aware of the gulf (and awareness of the problem is at least a start):

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/14/gary-neville-england-world-cup-winners-germany

What we should be grateful of is that B&HA have travelled a lot further down the German path than probably all of our Championship rivals, and most of those in the PL.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A note of caution.

Building a £20m academy won't generate 'local talent' for quite some time.
(I can see that being the next stick to beat the club with)

The club, I assume Burke, (the beatenest of a stick beaties) seems to have a keen eye at cherry picking Premier League youngsters, and developing them on.
I'd imagine the facility and a path to first team football is a great motivator.

But as for finding Billy Scrotum 'the Southwick rough diamond' kicking the ball around with his mates, the club is still a little way off.
But clearly heading in the right direction at an accelerated rate.

Agree with this. Germany began in 2000. Fourteen years later it has become obvious to all that the plan has borne fruit, although their potential was apparent a lot earlier. We will have to patient. It's easy to be patient if the plan is a good one. Which it is.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Not true. England have 10,877 while Germany have 28,655. Still a huge difference, but not as big as it once was

Fair enough - the figures I saw must have been quite out of date

Stumpy Tim

Fair enough - the figures I saw must have been quite out of date

It does make the point that we are making strides to improve things. I honestly don't think now is the time to make wholesale changes to our system as we're just beginning to see results. The key thing for me is getting 19-23 year olds play regularly - and given the Premier League is financially motivated, incentives from the FA to ensure English talent is playing in the Championship, is probably the best solution. I don't see the point in getting the best English talent playing in a competition against League 2 cloggers as has been proposed.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Great to see the thread has had such a positive feed back :) As for technical ability, in the good old days we called it skill and vision. Whilst poor defending is down to lack of concentration and hence positioning from the midfielders to goalkeeper.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great to see the thread has had such a positive feed back :) As for technical ability, in the good old days we called it skill and vision. Whilst poor defending is down to lack of concentration and hence positioning from the midfielders to goalkeeper.

I just wish I could be as clever as you. A non sequitor but do you know Adrew Miller took home £1.8million last year? Lucky he isn't a banker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here