Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

143rd Open Championship

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Its Open Championship time again and this time they rock up to Royal Liverpool Golf Course at Hoylake - http://www.theopen.com/en/TheCourse.aspx. Tiger hosed up when it was last here in 2006 but life hasn't been too good for him since then with a series of injuries and his slight indiscretions. The weather looks like it will play a part with benign conditions on Thursday being replaced by 14mph winds on Friday so it looks like a quick start is in order. Tee times are here - http://scores.theopen.com/en/TeeTimes.aspx

I have had four ante post bets so far and will leave it at that...for now.

Rory McIlroy
- backed him last August when he was in a slump and got 28/1 as I thought that his slump was a short term thing with class being permanent and form temporary. He's still inconsistent which he showed last week shooting a course record on day one and 14 more on day 2 but the had a solid weekend and the practice on the links course is all good. Wouldn't put anyone off the 18/1 now.

Zach Johnson - backed him in January at 80/1 when he was in good form in the States, winning once with two more top 10s. He's tailed off a bit since then but stormed back into form this weekend by finishing second in the John Deere, finding his form at the right time. He's been 9th and 6th in the last two open's so he travels well. This course will suit him down to the ground with his dead straight driving - he ranks 6th for accuracy this season on the PGA Tour. 50/1 now is very backable.

Adam Scott - backed him in March at 18/1, a price he's still available at. Ranked number one in the world at the moment and has been consistent for a couple of years now. He handed Ernie Els the Open two years ago after blowing a 4 shot lead but learned from the experience and nailed The Masters in 2013 and also finished 3rd in The Open and 5th in the USPGA. He was 8th here in 2006 so will have good memories of the course. Its hard to imagine him not contending.

Angel Cabrera - last but certainly not least, I backed him at 160 and each way at 125/1 in June when he was showing signs of coming back to form. His price has subsequently collapsed following a win in the Greenbriar Classic two weeks ago. He was 7th here in 2006 and 11th in last years Open. He's an enigma but if his driving is working he'll contend here as his short game is brilliant. 75/1 still looks value to me.

So thats my 4 and there are plenty of dangers. Justin Rose is in great form but his price looks very short now considering his record in The Open is very poor. He was 4th as an amateur but has missed 3 out of the last 4 cuts. Phil Mickelson hasn't found last years form and its very hard to defend a major title. Henrik Stenson has gone 33 majors without a win but has had three top 3 finishes in The Open in the last 6 years. Martin Kaymer has found form again but his record in The Open is poor so far. Couldn't back Tiger with counterfeit despite his win here in 2006 as this is a very different Tiger now. Sergio Garcia has played in 63 majors without winning one, Lee Westwood's form has deserted himand 65 majors without a win says it all, Ian Poulter has played 46 majors without a win but has 3 top 10 finishes in The Open but missed the cut last week, Luke Donald is another with a major duck after 44 events and whilst the course should suit him he has plenty of chances to get over the line but hasn't yet.

Really looking forward to the weeks golf and would love to be there but will settle for watching the action on the telly. However, I am going to St Andrews next year for the 144th Open:cool:

So who do you fancy to lift the claret jug this week?

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Love, Love, Love the Open!

Best Golf tournament by miles, sorts the men from the boys!
It is so unpredictable though, but have had a go...

Adam Scott - 16/1, hard to ignore, world number 1 and was top ten last time Open was at Hoylake.

Mikko illonen - 75/1, Good Links player, won the Irish Open a few weeks back and has won the amateur Championship at Hoylake.

Jim Furyk - 60/1, There is always an old timer who pops up at the Open (See Ernie and Darren Clarke) He also had top 10 in 2006 at Hoylake.

Lee Westwood - 50/1, Because I have wasted a £5 on him for the last 30 Major's in a row and am not gonna stop now.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
143rd,bloody hell last time I went was the 110th at Sandwich

yeah will be watching,one of the great British sporting events of the year

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Mickellson,Els & Bubba,worth following

2 groups later Rose & Scott

I'll go for Kaymer

Poker Dunce

Feb 4, 2012
Can't have Rory. If starts going bad for him he can't stop the bleeding. Could win but could also miss the cut. Some big price outsiders who could give you a run for your money are Matsuyama @ 75, Manasero @ 150, Woodland @ 210 and Aphibarnrat @ 1000 ! Good luck everyone.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Love Hoylake, magnificent course and looks to be a great set up this week ensuring some really exciting golf.

The old romantic that I am I will probably have a few quid on Woods, would be a fairytale if he won and I am sure all true golf fans will be roaring him on.

Beyond that maybe a few quid on Stenson and Day.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Can't have Rory. If starts going bad for him he can't stop the bleeding. Could win but could also miss the cut. Some big price outsiders who could give you a run for your money are Matsuyama @ 75, Manasero @ 150, Woodland @ 210 and Aphibarnrat @ 1000 ! Good luck everyone.

Rory has a fantastic round then has a horror one the following day. He shot a course record last Thursday at Royal Aberdeen with 64 then on Friday shoots 78. It's happened 3 other times this year.

I like the look of Justin Rose, won the Scottish open with -16 and won the Quicken Loans National in the U.S a couple of weeks before and he's in top form.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i just dont see the point unless there at least 50/1 then a few quid each way returns something worth having without breaking the bank

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
i just dont see the point unless there at least 50/1 then a few quid each way returns something worth having without breaking the bank

That's the beauty of the British open that it's so unpredictable and I see the open like the grand national where outsiders have a really good chance of winning unlike most golf tournaments where they're so predictable.

Can't remember his name but the other year a 50-1 outsider won the open. Link golf is the hardest in the world and the best golfers in the world struggle. Winners only win by the odd shot and that is usually on par or plus +1.

Mickelson won it last year and think he was 25-1.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i only really bet on golf as the odds are just awesome, and most bookies do Top 7 for each way :)

I will take a look tonight and make my forecast

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
i only really bet on golf as the odds are just awesome, and most bookies do Top 7 for each way :)

I will take a look tonight and make my forecast

I haven't checked on the odds yet but will decide before Thursday who to have an each way bet on.

I'll do £20 e/w but will sit down and analyse players before placing the bet. Think there's going to be a dark horse this year.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Love Hoylake, magnificent course and looks to be a great set up this week ensuring some really exciting golf.

The old romantic that I am I will probably have a few quid on Woods, would be a fairytale if he won and I am sure all true golf fans will be roaring him on.

Beyond that maybe a few quid on Stenson and Day.

:lolol:. As a true golf fan I will be hoping that he comes last - I am looking forward to seeing Mr Woods floundering in the long rough, spitting, swearing and chucking his clubs as all great golfers do.

Am sure it will be a great tournament - I just hope the wind blows.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
:lolol:. As a true golf fan I will be hoping that he comes last - I am looking forward to seeing Mr Woods floundering in the long rough, spitting, swearing and chucking his clubs as all great golfers do.

Am sure it will be a great tournament - I just hope the wind blows.

He's only playing because of his charity which I don't mind but because that is the sole reason then I don't want him acting like a juvenile who throws his toys out when things aren't going his way. Over the last few years I've seen him spit, slam his driver into the tee when he's hit wayward shots and worse of all watched him throw his irons on the fairways and a tirade of abuse.

He's past it but he can't except it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here