Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2018 World Cup summary...getting in early.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Congratulations Germany in retaining the Cup. A narrow win in extra time verses the USA - but good to see the two best teams in the competition contesting the final.

Shame England failed to get out of the group phase once again. It'll be a longtime before we get drawn in a weaker group than Portugal, Spain and Brazil. Oh well. :shrug:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The best thing for me was it was such an open World Cup, even though two of the favourites made it to the final. There were no real whipping boys in the whole competition this year. All the so called underdogs caused problems for bigger teams.

Even England managed to hold Costa Rica to a draw.......

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Brazil to smash 2018 out of sight,you heard it here first..feel free to bounce in 4 years time..

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I was just very proud that after romping unbeaten through our qualifying group without conceding a single goal, we upheld the stance we took in 2017 to boycott the tournament unless Putin pulled his troops out of Finland

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
England probably won't even qualify

I think you're right. It's that kind of attitde that has secured our consistent failure over the last (you fill it in for me if my girlfriend doesn't do first) years.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Glad we boycotted it, we probably wouldn't have qualified anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The best thing for me was it was such an open World Cup, even though two of the favourites made it to the final. There were no real whipping boys in the whole competition this year. All the so called underdogs caused problems for bigger teams.

Even England managed to hold Costa Rica to a draw.......

Costa Rica did not need to beat us to progress, if they had needed to then we may have struggled to get the one lousy point we did get.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Costa Rica did not need to beat us to progress, if they had needed to then we may have struggled to get the one lousy point we did get.

Because of prior family commitments the England v Costa Rica game was the first English World Cup match I have missed watching live since (I think) 1986, as I got sent to bed at half-time before we got beaten by Portugal that year.

Proof positive that family commitments can be a good thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It doesn't seem right for a tournament to be missing Brazil, Spain and England.

At least with the forthcoming FA 'root and branch' review, we we an be certain England will never miss another tournament.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Congratulations Germany in retaining the Cup. A narrow win in extra time verses the USA - but good to see the two best teams in the competition contesting the final.

Shame England failed to get out of the group phase once again. It'll be a longtime before we get drawn in a weaker group than Portugal, Spain and Brazil. Oh well. :shrug:

Did you watch it on ITV or BBC.
I watched it on ITV and thought Lineker was as smug as ever since he jumped ship for the extra dosh. Claire Balding was doing a fine job for the BBC though.
Who else thought that Glenn Hoddle looked ridiculous in the England managers blazer and tie shame we didn't manage a single point this time the FA really need to change something or we will not even qualify for 2022.
Who else noticed Adrian Chiles reporting for the Beano.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All players forced to wear black boots as Russian authorities declare coloured boots to be gay. Several teams missing players as visas refused for gay players. Fifa announce no evidence of prejudice in Russia and award tournament 9.9 score.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Congratulations to Bridders for leading Scotland to third place.

Completely surprised me

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
England will find it more difficult qualifying this time around with Australia in their European qualifying group.

Rumours are rife that the Socceroos will be moving to the CONCACAF zone for the 2026 Finals in India following their defeat by Algeria in the 2017 African Cup of Nations final hosted by Libya. This would be a further step for Australia to become the first country to participate in every FIFA qualifying zone.

Whilst the intention is laudable, Foster Slager (Australian Minister for Culture) is concerned that this action would only perpetuate the myth of Aussies backpackers turning up when and where least expected, staying for as long as they like at the host's expense before leaving abruptly without warning.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I still haven't got over the emergence of the San Marinese 'golden generation'.

To think that only 4 years ago they were considered the whipping boys of European football and they're now World Cup semi-finalists. Still think Belgium deserved their win though, they've been the best sside throughout.

As for England, a quarter final spot isn't bad, Sven coming back really was a masterstroke!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here