Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Commonwealth Games

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seriously, does anyone care?

Surely the most pointless sporting event since the World Cup 3rd placed play off.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's great for the little countries. Any sport is better than no sport.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I like the Games. India (1.6 billion people) vs Guernsey (63,000) at Hockey? England vs Scotland at anything? Rugby-7s?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm going to the Athletics and looking forward to it. I saw Mo win his second gold at the Olympics (and Bolt in the relay) and it was brilliant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had two tickets for the Track'n'Field at Hampden. Tried to book accommodation in Glasgow and a shitty Travelodge was charging £180 a night during the games, and filthy little b'n'b hovels were charging up to £350 a night. Worse profiteering than the London Olympics. I was born in Glasgow and was quite looking forward to a long-overdue visit to my home town. But they can swivel. Sold my tickets cost price to someone who will appreciate them. I'll still have a fish supper or two, but they'll be in a taverna on a beautiful Greek island somewhere, rather than a Glasgow chippie. And my beer money will go towards boosting the Greek economy rather than the Scottish/UK economy. Oh well. If there was a Commonwealth Games event called shooting yourself in the foot, then Glasgow's money-grabbing hoteliers would win gold hands-down. C*nts.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I had two tickets for the Track'n'Field at Hampden. Tried to book accommodation in Glasgow and a shitty Travelodge was charging £180 a night during the games, and filthy little b'n'b hovels were charging up to £350 a night. Worse profiteering than the London Olympics. I was born in Glasgow and was quite looking forward to a long-overdue visit to my home town. But they can swivel. Sold my tickets cost price to someone who will appreciate them. I'll still have a fish supper or two, but they'll be in a taverna on a beautiful Greek island somewhere, rather than a Glasgow chippie. And my beer money will go towards boosting the Greek economy rather than the Scottish/UK economy. Oh well. If there was a Commonwealth Games event called shooting yourself in the foot, then Glasgow's money-grabbing hoteliers would win gold hands-down. C*nts.

Agree they are taking the piss. I have booked hotels about 45 mins away near Kilmarnock for £80 per night for quite nice hotels but I suspect still hiked a bit.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

So you are just a tad annoyed? :D

Being your home town was there not anywhere you could kip on a sofa or two?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So you are just a tad annoyed? :D

Being your home town was there not anywhere you could kip on a sofa or two?

Well, could have kipped in Dunblane at me uncle's. But seeing as how the evening session ends at 10pm or thereabouts, I'd have had no more faith in Glasgow's ability to get me via public transport from Hampden to the middle of town to, say, Dunblane at that time of night. Would be like the Amex on a midweek match with fewer onward travel options. Still, have now been alerted to the most excellent accommodation option of www.airbnb.com which means I'll not be contributing to Glasgow's profiteering hoteliers ever again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously, does anyone care?

Surely the most pointless sporting event since the World Cup 3rd placed play off.

I notice that Usain Bolt decided he couldn't be arsed, as did Yohan Blake who claimed an injury- an injury that didn't stop him competing in a more lucrative golden league meeting the other day. And then getting properly injured in the process.

Come on though, [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]: aren't you on the edge of your seat in anticipation of seeing those great sporting rivals, the Cayman Islands and Brunei Darussalam, come face to face in sporting combat once again? Surely you've booked your tickets in the real hope of watching the Vanuatu national 110m Hurdles record being smashed? Personally, I'm just hoping that Norfolk Island can improve on their all time medal tally of none.

Admit it: who knew Norfolk Island was an actual place before this post?

Indy

Apr 19, 2012
I have tickets, hoping for the proclaimers at the closing ceremony or maybe Lulu.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure which we'll be most disappointed with:

The official Scotland team outfits, presumably designed by the woman in the middle who clearly gets dressed in the dark :facepalm:

Commonwealth-Games---Team-001.jpg

or the official Games mascot, Clyde, who appears to have been designed by a six year old with some crayons :facepalm:

commonwealth-games-mascot.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Admit it: who knew Norfolk Island was an actual place before this post?

I did know of Norfolk Island before your post, only because I went out with an Australian for a few years and she used to take the piss out of it being a place Queenslanders would go for their "foreign" holiday. I think it's the equivalent of a Brit spending a week in Blackpool.

The Commonwealth Games does have its place, Scotland has got to have something to look forward to. On a serious side, it does look like it is helping to redevelop a pretty run-down area of Glasgow which can't be a bad thing.

As a sporting event it's SHITE though, there's little argument about that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here