Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The reasons why i love Mark Lawrenson

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
After the rather mixed response to his co-commentary in last night's World Cup Final I thought i'd dig out the piece I wrote about Mark Lawrenson for TSLR late last year. Cards on the table I think he's the best Albion player in the last 40 years. I try and explain why here
"The Reasons Why I Love Mark Lawrenson"
http://jemstone.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/the-reasons-why-i-love-mark-lawrenson/
Any other contenders ? I'd say possibly Peter Ward but I make the case why not in the blog.
Vicente doesn't count...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Lawrenson sold for 900 bags not a million profit, he was great BUT not the genius Ward was... What they did after was irrelevant, do you check up on all your ex's to see how they've improved in the sack since you and then judge?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have seen a few good players that have pulled on the Albion shirt but he was by far the best.
I watched a charity game on TV last year and he played the whole 90 minutes and was the best player on the pitch, not quite "fit as a butchers dog" but fitter than most even the players who play in the premiership now.
and super player in most positions ..............even in goal

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
After the rather mixed response to his co-commentary in last night's World Cup Final I thought i'd dig out the piece I wrote about Mark Lawrenson for TSLR late last year. Cards on the table I think he's the best Albion player in the last 40 years. I try and explain why here
"The Reasons Why I Love Mark Lawrenson"
http://jemstone.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/the-reasons-why-i-love-mark-lawrenson/
Any other contenders ? I'd say possibly Peter Ward but I make the case why not in the blog.
Vicente doesn't count...

You will get no objections from me on saying that. Unfortunately l just missed seeing Lawro as l only started watching the Albion in 1985, but l have seen him play live for Liverpool, and of course, countless times on tv. He was a great player, no doubt about it.

Personally l think a lot of people would say Peter Ward, but of course he was a forward, scored a shed load of goals, and they are the players that stick in the memory, goal scorers.

I wouldn't even consider Vicente either, yes a great player at his peak, but injury prone, and way past his best on the odd occasion he took the field for the Albion.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Great tweet during the final last night, along the lines of "Mark Lawrenson's commentary suddenly makes sense if you imagine him cutting someone's hair while he's doing it."

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Agreed. Brilliant reader of a game - always in the right place, always had time on the ball, always the right pass.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Mark Lawrenson was class in the top division for Brighton and Liverpool. Wardy was great in the Third Division, decent in the Second Division and found the First Division very challenging. Wardy was a forward with some lovely skill and a crowd pleaser which makes so much difference.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
i find his commentary quite amusing actually - dont understand why everyone is so negative about it.

I'm with you on that, I find him quite down to earth, amusing and quite interesting in his observations.

I also agree with the op he was the most talented player I have ever seen play for the Albion and that includes Ward. It probably wouldn't include Vicente if I'd seen more than cameos from him.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Wardy was superb but Lawro played consistently in the top division. Can't really compare the two.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Mark Lawrenson was class in the top division for Brighton and Liverpool. Wardy was great in the Third Division, decent in the Second Division and found the First Division very challenging. Wardy was a forward with some lovely skill and a crowd pleaser which makes so much difference.

Harsh.
I reckon Wardy was shit hot in both the 3rd and 2nd Divisions and I think most people who saw him on a regular basis would agree.He was also pretty damn 'good in the old 1st as well,considering he was playing in a team that was struggling for much of the time.He certainly made some highly rated defenders look absolute mugs on plenty of ocassions.
Totally mismanaged by wretched Clough at Forest,but under the right manager he could have gone on to greater things.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Great piece Jem, not sure how I missed it in TSLR last year.

The ultimate piece of class from Lawro that I recall is when he played against us for Liverpool in the FAC 1984, and declined to bring down Gerry Ryan as he skipped towards goal to give us the lead. Remember this was pre the Clear GoalScoring Opportunity ruling. Either it was not in his nature to so do (he rarely let forwards get the wrong side) or, perhaps, a smidgin of sentiment crossed his mind in the familiar Goldstone surroundings. Either does him credit.

Make your own mind up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNSwFM2d6IQ

PG

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Agreed. Brilliant reader of a game - always in the right place, always had time on the ball, always the right pass.

Fantastic player for Brighton.He and Nobby were phenomenal.
The only thing I can remember about him that wasn't almost perfect was his shooting(picky about a defender maybe,but that is how you judge a player of his high standards)
You almost knew that if he had a potshot at goal,the ball would end up in the stands!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Harsh.
I reckon Wardy was shit hot in both the 3rd and 2nd Divisions and I think most people who saw him on a regular basis would agree.He was also pretty damn 'good in the old 1st as well,considering he was playing in a team that was struggling for much of the time.He certainly made some highly rated defenders look absolute mugs on plenty of ocassions.
Totally mismanaged by wretched Clough at Forest,but under the right manager he could have gone on to greater things.

36 goals in the Third followed by 17 and 13 in the second and 18 in the First. I will go with you over the First Division, he made mugs of the Wolves defenders if I recall correctly. I think Peter Taylor wanted him but perhaps Clough did not. Yes I was harsh. I saw all his home performances all seasons !!! Football is all about excitement and he brought it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
An illustration of the difference he made was that we struggled in our first season in the first division after he suffered an ankle injury at Tottenham, but he came back for the 1-0 win at Forest, playing in midfield, and after that we were climbed steadily towards safety. He was particularly majestic in a key win at Bolton, I recall.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here