Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've bollocksed up my laptop

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So Saturday night I'm in the garden with the laptop. I wander indoors for something, and when I came back out, my bottle of red wine was laying on its side and some of its contents were on the keyboard (I have NO IDEA how this happened, I really don't...hic). Anyway, I swore a bit and switched it off, then dried it as best I could, but when I switched it back on in the morning, I discovered some of the keys now either don't work, or do something weird, like pressing P now gives me a ^. I've lost most of the bottom row, E, and all the numbers. The wifes not happy as she can't log in to her Facebook. This will cause me no end of grief as it means she will want to talk to me.

Anyone else recovered their 'puter from a spillage ? Is it fixable, or a write-off ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Would recomend the laptop shop by Brighton station. Helped me out when I accidentally broke the screen on wifes laptop. Been a few years since I went there though.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
So Saturday night I'm in the garden with the laptop. I wander indoors for something, and when I came back out, my bottle of red wine was laying on its side and some of its contents were on the keyboard (I have NO IDEA how this happened, I really don't...hic). Anyway, I swore a bit and switched it off, then dried it as best I could, but when I switched it back on in the morning, I discovered some of the keys now either don't work, or do something weird, like pressing P now gives me a ^. I've lost most of the bottom row, E, and all the numbers. The wifes not happy as she can't log in to her Facebook. This will cause me no end of grief as it means she will want to talk to me.

Anyone else recovered their 'puter from a spillage ? Is it fixable, or a write-off ?

My wife spilt a cup of tea over hers....couldnt be repaired, so insurance claim

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its fixable but if you though letting it dry would help, then its best off with a professional. if you feel adventurous, get some electrical cleaning spray (acetone) and wipes from Maplin, an online user guide for the laptop and try taking it apart yourself. (being a man, i assume you have the required small screwdrivers.)

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Dry it out completely - if necessary put in a sealed bag with desiccant (silica gel / rice) to absorb the moisture.

Worst case if it is just the keyboard you can get a replacement for about £30 odd depending on make / model etc.

Drying out process could take a week or so - I had a £1000 laptop which got tea spilt on it and it still works like new after doing the above.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Aren't you supposed to pour salt on red wine spillages?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've lost most of the bottom row, E, and all the numbers.

With E affected, I think you're suffering from irritable vowel syndrome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Drying out process could take a week or so - I had a £1000 laptop which got tea spilt on it and it still works like new after doing the above.

difference is tea doesn't leave a sticky, conductive residue. wine and others like the laptop and keyboard killer coke do, so you need to clean up the residue.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmmm...thanks chaps. Not looking favourite is it.

I might take it to a repair shop and let them have a sniff, but probably looking at a replacement by the sounds. Tch.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
In the short term you can a) buy a cheap USB keyboard or b) use the on screen keyboard programme (a bit laborious but at least the misses will be able to login to Facebook).

In the long term, you can get the keyboard replaced either by doing it yourself (a pretty simple task you should be able to find replacements online for your type of laptop), sending it back or taking it to a shop.

It's very unlikely that the keyboard will be revocable even with cleaning (talking from experience).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here