Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Park and Ride in Brighton?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Assuming you don't mean football P&R then there's no such thing in the city nowadays.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The nearest thing is Withdean, though I don't know if you can still park there for free, as I haven't done so for a while. One tip if you do - walk down to London Road and catch the 5, 5A or 5B, rather than the dreadful slow 27, which goes from the stadium itself and winds round Westdene before turning onto Dyke Road. Sure, there's nothing wrong with Westdene having a local bus service, but it's not suitable to go alongside a park and ride.

D

Deleted member 18477

Stick your car in mill road... And wait for a bus... You might be waiting a while and when a bus does turn up it won't take you anywhere near Brighton city centre... :moo:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Withdean is free parking , with the 27 bus deemed the Park & Ride service to the town centre.

It's not really a park and ride though. There just happens to be free parking on a normal bus route. You could go and park in Patcham for free and catch a 5 or 5A or even park in Hollingbury for free and catch the 5B - I don't think anyone would call that park and ride.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not really a park and ride though. There just happens to be free parking on a normal bus route. You could go and park in Patcham for free and catch a 5 or 5A or even park in Hollingbury for free and catch the 5B - I don't think anyone would call that park and ride.

The 27 bus has Park & Ride on it's display screen. I agree you could catch another bus by walking down Tongdean Lane.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The nearest thing is Withdean, though I don't know if you can still park there for free, as I haven't done so for a while. One tip if you do - walk down to London Road and catch the 5, 5A or 5B, rather than the dreadful slow 27, which goes from the stadium itself and winds round Westdene before turning onto Dyke Road. Sure, there's nothing wrong with Westdene having a local bus service, but it's not suitable to go alongside a park and ride.

Going into town, it goes straight up to Dyke Road. It does the circuitous route on the way back. It is still free to park as I have done it recently.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Park in Preston Village and hop on a No 5.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

People only call it 'park and ride', because that's what it used to be!, until a few years ago the Withdean car park was the old park and ride site, along with the dedicated park and ride bus service, which has now sadly been axed. Motorists need to pay to get into town now on the number 27 bus which stops next to the car park.

I do agree though that it may be quicker to walk down Tongdean Lane to the London Road, and catch the 5, or 5A, which are more frequent and get you into town a little bit quicker.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's painfully slow compared with the Park & Ride which was sadly discontinued. That was quick as it went straight into town instead of constantly stopping along the route. I've given up on taking the car and now use the train.

Withdean is free parking , with the 27 bus deemed the Park & Ride service to the town centre.

An excellent option in my opinion, use it lots when l need to go to Brighton.
Whilst the 27 offers a stopping bus to the city centre (rather than the non-stop service that the former dedicated park & ride service used to provide), it's still worth considering, since parking at Withdean is both hassle-free and free of charge. Offset those benefits against the hassle and cost of city centre parking and the Withdean option still looks OK.

No-one is sadder than me that the original Withdean dedicated p&r bus no longer runs - a victim of council spending cuts a few years ago.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Just stick your car for free at a nearby train station, and pay £2 to get into Brighton? Much cheaper than parking, and probably quicker too (no fraffing around looking for a parking space).

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Ended up Parking at Brighton Station £6 60 for 6 hours between 2 of us worked out cheaper than the Buses ,though a bit of Grub and a couple of drinks on the pier was good but pricey.

Any advice chaps and Ladies ?Cheers.

Park for four hours free at the Marina and stroll along the prom. into town. Not much use if a) it is raining and b) you have a long and important business meeting down the Hove end of Western Road.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Brighton could do with following what they have done in Portsmouth (with a P&R, not football).

Tried it there yesterday, a large car park just off the M275 with brand new buses nicely done up with wooden floors and leather seats which use bus lanes to get into the City Centre and then carry onto the Harbour all within 15 minutes, unlimited use of the P&R bus is included in the price too. The cost for the entire day - £2 per car and any amount of people can use the bus on the ticket.

If Brighton had something like this, travel would be so much easier especially as it would discourage people going into the centre of town to the rip-off car parks and reduce congestion - its madness that a City like Brighton and Hove doesnt have a P&R considering its size and the issue with congestion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just stick your car for free at a nearby train station, and pay £2 to get into Brighton? Much cheaper than parking, and probably quicker too (no fraffing around looking for a parking space).

Where are you coming from to pay £2 for a ticket? London Road?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brighton could do with following what they have done in Portsmouth (with a P&R, not football).

Tried it there yesterday, a large car park just off the M275 with brand new buses nicely done up with wooden floors and leather seats which use bus lanes to get into the City Centre and then carry onto the Harbour all within 15 minutes, unlimited use of the P&R bus is included in the price too. The cost for the entire day - £2 per car and any amount of people can use the bus on the ticket.

If Brighton had something like this, travel would be so much easier especially as it would discourage people going into the centre of town to the rip-off car parks and reduce congestion - its madness that a City like Brighton and Hove doesnt have a P&R considering its size and the issue with congestion.

The bus company have a rail link to prop up and shareholders to please. The local council enjoy huge revenue from parking.

The city will not be mended. Too much money to be had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here