Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post your England win World Cup memories here (old timer's thread)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I watched it at my first girlfriend's parents house. They had a tv, we didn't. The drama of the German last minute equaliser and the 3rd and 4th England goal are as fresh in my memory now as they were then.

My parents were living in Germany at the time so the next few days threw up some interesting conversations, most revolving around the fact that the Germans had been cheated. THAT goal was always over the line for this young England fan though!

Awesome day the like of which I doubt I'll ever see again :down:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Gazza being booked against the West Germans in the semi finals ( knowing he would miss the final if England won ) at Italia 90. Probably one of the most emotional moments of any tournament that I remember ( apart from The Hand of God ). Total passion for his country.:cry:

Edit. Note to self, read thread title fully before consuming too much wine.:p
BTW Iam 45 so consider myself an old timer.

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was 2 months old. I can say that I watched us win the world cup. Sadly, likely to be the only time in my lifetime. I am 48 and I cant see us winning any tournament again.... even if I live to be 100. Watching this world cup, I think we are further away than ever.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
Well... I wasn't even a little sperm cell at the time but once the time machine is invented, 1966 will be my first visit.... Well second, first will be late 1930's to kick Hitler in the balls.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Well... I wasn't even a little sperm cell at the time but once the time machine is invented, 1966 will be my first visit.... Well second, first will be late 1930's to kick Hitler in the ball.

Corrected for you.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Well... I wasn't even a little sperm cell at the time but once the time machine is invented, 1966 will be my first visit.... Well second, first will be late 1930's to kick Hitler in the balls.

Perhaps around August 1888, a kick to his fathers balls would be more apt.:thumbsup:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I would have been about 18 mnths. Apparently I did "watch" it, but oddly enough can't remember anything

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was 2 months old. I can say that I watched us win the world cup. Sadly, likely to be the only time in my lifetime. I am 48 and I cant see us winning any tournament again.... even if I live to be 100. Watching this world cup, I think we are further away than ever.
This, but I did see us come the closest since, live, in the stadium.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was 17, watched in Portslade on our TV, not daring to hope but holding my breath at every attack on goal. I went out that evening in Brighton where it was like a carnival, with total strangers grinning & talking to each other. A fantastic memory.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was too young, but an older mate (not English) said they were down Brighton beach that afternoon, which was eerily quite and empty.

At about 5.30pm tens of thousands of jubilant England fans emerged from homes, hotels ... the family down the beach realised England had won. Cue the celebrations.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here