Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ingham last radio commentary ...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tonights game will be his last for the BBC....as a person who grew up listening to football on the radio with very little coverage (compared to these days) on the TV ..i have fond memories of people like Bryon Butler and Peter Jones...i'm not sure personally i would put him in quite there bracket, however, he is for my mind one of the best if not the best on BBC radio as a commentator and correspondent, so will be sadly missed by me..there is always something special about listening to a football game on the radio imho.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think Ingham is one of the last great footy radio commentators. Too much squealing at every little half chance these days, the likes of Bryon Butler and Peter Jones didn't need to do that. We are now left with the likes of Connor McNamara, Jonathan Pearce, Alan Green and the horrendus John Murray, who is going to take on the Senior Football correspondents role from Ingham. Of these only Jonathon Pearce is tolerable in my mind. Still I suppose at least the Beeb is not as bad asTalksport....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Green has become a parody of himself. The rest are just dull.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Adored the commentary of Jones and Butler. I can still remember as a kid listening to (was it Radio 2 then) Jones commentary of 1970's internationals. Similarly I rate Green and Ingham very highly. Green hasn't changed one iota - honest, truthful, to the point of upsetting bullies like Allerdyce and Taggart, and put callers on 606 who talked crap or lied, straight - far better than fence sitting wafflers like David Mellor. Ingham is totally different - calm, measured, still as passionate about football as the others, but spoke with reason and intelligence about every controversy like Saurez, Terry vs Ferdinand, Sven, England getting knocked out of tournaments early (in complete contrast to the spiteful or righteous like Martin Samuel, Jason Roberts, Mark Saggers, Matt Scott, John Cross, and many others who let their club bias get in the way .... wanting opponents clubs to be hurt). Ingham rose above that, and has been an impartial and true correspondent.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not just his commentary, but his input on 5 live podcasts on the punditry side will be missed. When you are abroad, those podcasts are a lifeline.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here