Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the best team at the World Cup finish third.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Notwithstanding the German win over an abject Brazil, I do think that Holland have been the best team overall.

That's knock out football for you!

Thoughts?

Can't see how you can call them the best team overall when they didn't score in the quarter or semi finals.
Defensively sound but lacking going forward in my view.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Possibly the third best team at the World Cup finished third!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Definitely not. Brilliant against Spain, they never reached those heights again.

Germany have been entirely dominant, always looking like they have more to offer if needed.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A no from me too.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Yes. But the fourth best side didn't finish fourth.

Indeed. I actually watched last night and thought England could get a result against BraZil. Maybe a dour 0-0, but a result none the less.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The best team in the World Cup will lift the trophy tonight, whatever your view of them. That's the way it goes.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
A no from me, too. The Germans just get on with it coolly, calmly and clinically with far fewer histrionics and better football, and Argentina deserved to beat the Netherlands in the semis, so third is probably right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Knock out football is very different to league football. There is a slightly different set of skills required and a totally different tournament dynamic. You need to manage the squad so the correct team peaks at exactly the right time. You cannot start off well and limp over the line like you can in other formats. I believe Germany are the best nation at knowing and doing this. I believe they will prevail tonight so the answer to your question is no, as I believe the best team for this format will win.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Set up as a defensive counter attacking team in the same mould as Chelsea. Playing the percentages rather than going for it. If they had more courage I think they could have beaten Argentina easily. Arrogant manager and players and glad the biggest cheater, Robben, in the tournament, will not be in the final.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
is that the team who could not manage a goal in 4 hours of knockout football
in the quarter and semi finals?
and did not even look like scoring a goal
just like 4 years ago this Dutch team is total footballs dark twin
only playing on the counter attack
dirty and diving

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Definitely not. Germany have been by far the best side and should *touchwood*, prevail tonight against the Argies.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Germany and Colombia have been, in my opinion, the two best sides at this World Cup. In fact, having watched Brazil's last two games, I still can't believe they beat Colombia.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here