Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Ramone RIP

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I met them at Sussex Uni in about 78 when they played an all nighter. From what I remember they were all very tall and all very much out of it. None of them left, amazing that they have all departed. Sad.

TNBA

TTF

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It makes me really sad to think that they have all gone. I saw The Ramones a few times in the seventies and they were brilliant. I never expected them to get the legendary status they have, where their T shirts are sold as fashion items, and worn by people who have never heard of them, but they were great. :(

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
RIP Tommy Ramone ,
The last of the originals , thanks for everything , particularly all the friends I made because of you

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
It makes me really sad to think that they have all gone. I saw The Ramones a few times in the seventies and they were brilliant. I never expected them to get the legendary status they have, where their T shirts are sold as fashion items, and worn by people who have never heard of them, but they were great. :(
I bought California Sun/ I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You from Fine Records (subsequently Rounder) on it's import release in the spring of '77 and can't believe that is 37 fvckin' years ago!!! Never got round to seeing them unfortunately but their music seems just as fresh and relevant today!

RIP Tommy x

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Ditto. Feel really privileged to have seen them, can't believe they used to play the Top Rank!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I saw a young girl of about 8 wearing a Ramones t-shirt last week and did wonder if she had ever heard a Ramones record.

Very good band. RIP Tommy.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I saw a young girl of about 8 wearing a Ramones t-shirt last week and did wonder if she had ever heard a Ramones record.

Very good band. RIP Tommy.

Are you sure it wasn't a One Direction rip-off of one of the classic Ramones t-shirt designs?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
very sad news. Another light that lit up my youth has gone out.

Had the privilege of seeing them a couple of times at the top rank I thing in about 1979 and 1985.

First time I ever heard them was on the Anne Nightingale show :
[yt]6siGKxcKol0[/yt]

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Love the Ramones.

Saw them 4 years running at the Brixton Academy late 80s early 90s.
One of the best live bands I have seen.

RIP

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I was at that gig in 1985 although think it was 86. Amazing!

Was definitely 86 as I was there. Was still in exile in 1985 and didn't move back to Brighton until Feb 1986.

RIP Tommy. They were the band of my mid-to-late teens. Can't remember how many times I saw them.

Joey Ramone (Jeffry Hyman really) is the only person for whom I have ever made a special pilgrimage to visit their grave (he's buried in New Jersey, near Giants stadium). By sad coincidence, that same week in 2004, I also managed to time it to arrive in NYC the day after Johnny died, so got to pay tribute at the impromptu shrine to him outside CBGB too.

CBGB's gone now as well...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw The Ramones 4 times and they were always great fun. First time was '85 at the Top Rank then 3 times in London. It's Alive still gets a regular outing on my running iPod. Rip.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
very sad news. Another light that lit up my youth has gone out.

Had the privilege of seeing them a couple of times at the top rank I thing in about 1979 and 1985.

First time I ever heard them was on the Anne Nightingale show :
[yt]6siGKxcKol0[/yt]

One best bands out of the New York cbgb,s scene, once bizarrely described as the beach boys double the speed as someone said earlier still sounds fresh today as back then, both my daughters listen to a lot of their stuff on their I phones so defo one of those bands that will never go out of style . That t-shirt will always sell cause of the name The Ramones it's just so cool, can't think of another band that must have shifted that many t-shirts over the years

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
My wife worked a lot with Richie Ramone in the early 2000s. He worked in Miami for an AV firm and was often at her hotel setting up conferences and stuff. Very, very few people ever knew who he was and he would get really mad if anyone ever spoke of his Ramones days. Really nice, down to earth guy though. Was pleased when he was fully credited with his written songs for the band.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here