Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paying For Surgery

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
So if we believe the hype the NHS is on borrowed time. And within 10 years we will operate an American style system with varying levels of health insurance depending on lifestyle choices and other mitigating factors.

Fair?

The big quote of the day is from a guy who says he's in favour as people who are overweight should be forced to pay as he doesn't think his taxes should be used to save someone who has made certain lifestyle choices.

I'm not overweight. I do smoke. I do drink. But if we operate this 'class' system of insurance where do certain cases stand.

Hereditary health issues that the individual has no control over. And what about the afore mentioned righteous health specimen. What if he knackered his knee/calf/shins due to excessive exercise. Is he any better or any less a burden on the health service die to his 'lifestyle choice'

Everything in moderation is the saying. That surely should apply if your vice is fags/booze/women/weights/tennis/road running etc etc

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Our fat neighbour had NHS stomach surgery to the tune of thousands of pounds of taxpayer's money and she lost a lot of weight as a result. A year and a bit on and she's bigger than ever and her diet is appalling. You do the math.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Our fat neighbour had NHS stomach surgery to the tune of thousands of pounds of taxpayer's money and she lost a lot of weight as a result. A year and a bit on and she's bigger than ever. You do the math.

See that's the bad thing isn't it. Taking pish. As a result we now have the NHS in this state

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Smokers have probably paid for any operation they might need in taxes on the fags they smoked but still some feel they should not be looked after by the NHS.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Smokers have probably paid for any operation they might need in taxes on the fags they smoked but still some feel they should not be looked after by the NHS.

If it wasn't for the money smokers have pumped into this country down the years the NHS would have collapsed years ago.

Puff

Heebyjeebys

Apr 15, 2013
Did you shag her when she was skinny, dump her, then she comfort ate whilst crying into a picture of you!!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Keep eating your turd shaped chocolates. They will make everything ok

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
So if we believe the hype the NHS is on borrowed time. And within 10 years we will operate an American style system with varying levels of health insurance depending on lifestyle choices and other mitigating factors.

Fair?

The big quote of the day is from a guy who says he's in favour as people who are overweight should be forced to pay as he doesn't think his taxes should be used to save someone who has made certain lifestyle choices.

I'm not overweight. I do smoke. I do drink. But if we operate this 'class' system of insurance where do certain cases stand.

Hereditary health issues that the individual has no control over. And what about the afore mentioned righteous health specimen. What if he knackered his knee/calf/shins due to excessive exercise. Is he any better or any less a burden on the health service die to his 'lifestyle choice'

Everything in moderation is the saying. That surely should apply if your vice is fags/booze/women/weights/tennis/road running etc etc

In 2010, I suffered a trapped nerve in my neck, (though the horrendous pain wasn't there but in my shoulder). I had to pay for a MRI scan which confirmed the diagnosis and it was confirmed that surgery was required to remove two disks from my neck. I was quoted six months to wait for that operation and that was January 2010. Remember when the snow lay on the ground frozen for weeks? I was out there every night walking in the snow and ice to try to take my mind off the incredible pain. Well that operation cost me around £15K in total and I still can't use my left hand to any great extent.
One should be grateful for what the NHS actually does and perhaps recognise that self inflicted conditions may become less of a priority !

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I need to work hard and repay my dues. To gift me with the power of hearing has cost something along the lines of £40k. If I stay in my current role, I should repay that by the time I am 70.

The NHS (and taxpayer) :bowdown:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
. How is it that a McDonalds burger is still 99p with absolutely no health warnings?

Playing devils advocate, I would say that there is nothing wrong with eating one as part of an otherwise varied and sensible diet, rather different to smoking where every tab is bad for you. The dietary content should be clearly marked though.

I need to work hard and repay my dues. To gift me with the power of hearing has cost something along the lines of £40k. If I stay in my current role, I should repay that by the time I am 70.

The NHS (and taxpayer) :bowdown:

I estimate that my cancer treatment since it started in 2006 runs into seven figures; - over 25 CT/MRI scans, five courses of chemotherapy, six pieces of surgery.............!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Strange how over the years, the NHS system has now fallen into the grasp of the moralistic debate too. Fat people, smokers, druggies and alcoholics are the big target.

How about people doing dangerous, extreme and most often standard sports? That must a fair bit of NHS cash, ban sport too I say

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are [obviously] better ways to tackle obesity than gastric bands and surgery. I would suggest cigarette pack style health warnings on fast & junk food as a starter, but move on to heavy taxation. How is it that a McDonalds burger is still 99p with absolutely no health warnings?

eating a 99p burger doesnt make you obese, eating a Big Mac meal every day might. if you're not a builder or something. but then if you have a ceaser salad and bowl of pasta every day for lunch before going home to a large dinner, you're likly to end up obese too. the way to tackle obesity is to tell fat people they are fat and to stop putting more food in their mouth and get more exercise, not fanny around with niceties. the only reason they are suggesting gastric bands is because its cheaper long term then dealing with the effects of diabetes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here