Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canal/river boat holidays

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Thinking about a week with the wife and doggy on a canal boat type holiday in Sept. preferably in the South somewhere.

Never been before, so any suggestions for entry level sailors like us with nice pub stop overs etc. Not worried about cost as long as its good, and preferably not opening locks every 100yds.!

Suggestions appreciated.:thumbsup:

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Might be better off on the Norfolk Broads which has all the features you desire and no locks. Also, all sexual positions tolerated, not just doggy.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't think there's anywhere in the south where you could spend a week, with no locks. As previously mentioned the Broads are probably your only option, it's very easy there but the moorings can be very busy especially at the pubs close to the rivers. If you're doing it for a week, and assuming you're cruising every day, you'll probably want to cross Breydon Water and go under Potter Heigham Bridge, both of which bring with them certain complications. Done quite a lot of trips on the Thames and the broads is have any other questions.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Wooten Warwen in the midlands,... you can potter around in various directions, take in Stratford ( v nice), and plenty over overnight pub mooring spots,.... a few locks yes,.. but not too many that you get tired of it.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Having done a fair few miles on Canals, I would consider a boat on the Thames. , In September it's not usually busy and there are more waterside pubs, somebody does the locks for you. The scenery is some of the best in the world.
Hire a boat from somewhere between Sunbury and Reading, and travel upriver through history.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Devizes is quite nice. Tip* always have a camera ready for when the wife walks off the end of the boat holding a rope.........unfortunately I didn't, big regret. Hope you have a great time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've never done one but I have started seriously fancying a canal barge holiday - bit of nice scenery, industrial heritage, that kind of thing.

Anyone got any good advice on some nice routes, good places to hire from or any other tips for the newcomer?

i went on my first canal boat holiday this year on the kennet and avon starting at hilperton marina and heading up to devizes and out the other side taking in the Caen Hill Flight (google it) in both directions.... great fun plenty of pub stops and lots of lovely scenery however definitely a lot of locks..... especially on the day we did the flight so maybe not your cup of tea. if you do decide to go for it find another boat and pair up for the flight it'll make your life a lot easier.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Have had 3 one week trips on each of the Llangollen and Monmouthshire canals in Wales. Not many locks on either canal and both provide fantastic holidays.

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Farncombe boat house River Wey wort a look

I went from the boat house at Guildford on the river Wey onto the Thames as far as Windsor. Nice route with Pubs along the way, good if you don't want to travel that far to the start of your trip

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Devizes is quite nice. Tip* always have a camera ready for when the wife walks off the end of the boat holding a rope.........unfortunately I didn't, big regret. Hope you have a great time.

Great set of locks at Devizes

I've been on loads of canal holidays but Midlands and up North ...great fun

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should be able to find something from that lot. Much appreciated.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
you'll probably want to cross Breydon Water and go under Potter Heigham Bridge, both of which bring with them certain complications. Done quite a lot of trips on the Thames and the broads is have any other questions.

Ahhh, Potter Heigham Bridge. I remember it well. So did the boat rental company, as we brought our cruiser back to them a good inch or so lower in the roof area than it was when we picked it up.

Nobody told us there were tidal issues at that particular location :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While not in the South, I'd recommend the Stourbridge Ring - I did it with a couple of RAF mates and their better halves and I've never been so drunk for so long in my life.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Have had 3 one week trips on each of the Llangollen and Monmouthshire canals in Wales. Not many locks on either canal and both provide fantastic holidays.

Great aquaduct on the Llangollen..went across it ages ago and I'm sure there was just railings/ path on one side and a sheer drop on the other
I've also done the Shropshire,Trent Mersey (Anderton Lift), Oxford, Grand Union, Leeds Liverpool, Bridgewater, Rochdale, Peak and a few I can't remember

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ahhh, Potter Heigham Bridge. I remember it well. So did the boat rental company, as we brought our cruiser back to them a good inch or so lower in the roof area than it was when we picked it up.

Nobody told us there were tidal issues at that particular location :facepalm:

Were you on a 5mph Hot Pursuit at the time Edna ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Were you on a 5mph Hot Pursuit at the time Edna ?

No, probably a bottle of Hooch I'd imagine.

Yeah, it was a long time ago. And I wasn't the one steering. You'd be surprised at the noise a fibreglass boat roof makes when scraping the underside of a stone bridge, it really is quite something.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here