Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories...........

livewire11

Banned
Feb 10, 2011
Nicky rust, Steve foster, Paul mccarthy, Ian chapman, Peter smith, Stuart storer, dean Wilkins, jeff Minton, junior mcdougal, kurt nogan, john Byrne, jimmy case, - brings back some great memories!! Especially trough some very difficult times!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wouldn't say great.

Oh l think that they are great memories. Strange as it may sound. some of my fondest memories of being an Albion fan come from that period in the mid to late 90's when we were all fighting the Archer regime, and trying to stay in the Football League. Special times, but for all the wrong reasons.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It's perfectly reasonable to have good memories of shit times.

I remember the occasional unexpected victory against all the odds. The group of diehards travelling on the buses to the Pissfield. Scott McGleish's early appearances on our radar. Peter Smith's gangly unpredictability. Wendy's once-in-a-lifetime free kick. Bellotti being chased out of the West Stand more than once. The fireworks followed by the mass exodus from the Goldstone during an evening game. The people you met during all the campaigning.

There were some lovely moments and a lot of fun in amongst the many years of stress, loathing, and football less appealing than a turd panini.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I remember the occasional unexpected victory against all the odds. The group of diehards travelling on the buses to the Pissfield. Scott McGleish's early appearances on our radar. Peter Smith's gangly unpredictability. Wendy's once-in-a-lifetime free kick. Bellotti being chased out of the West Stand more than once. The fireworks followed by the mass exodus from the Goldstone during an evening game. The people you met during all the campaigning.

There were some lovely moments and a lot of fun in amongst the many years of stress, loathing, and football less appealing than a turd panini.

I'm glad I experienced it, I hope my sons never have too

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
memories

Wally Gould, Kit Napier, John Napier, Dave Turner, Norman Gall, Brian Powney, Stewart Henderson, Brian Tawse, Howard Wilkinson, Nobby Lawton, Paul Flood, Charlie Livesey, and so on.... sometimes I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago - but these names will stay with me until I die!

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!'

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Wally Gould, Kit Napier, John Napier, Dave Turner, Norman Gall, Brian Powney, Stewart Henderson, Brian Tawse, Howard Wilkinson, Nobby Lawton, Paul Flood, Charlie Livesey, and so on.... sometimes I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago - but these names will stay with me until I die!

Golden days at the Goldstone. Dave Turner was one of my favourites and what about Kit's inswinging corners!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the bristol rovers 8-2

a little bit like brazil the over night

surreal

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nicky rust, Steve foster, Paul mccarthy, Ian chapman, Peter smith, Stuart storer, dean Wilkins, jeff Minton, junior mcdougal, kurt nogan, john Byrne, jimmy case, - brings back some great memories!! Especially trough some very difficult times!!

That's more or less the first line up of the Albion I watched. So yes, great memories. I didn't see us win for 12 games after my first visit to the crumbling goldstone. I loved it.

20 years this coming season.

Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher - can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!'

I thought just that when reading post #7 :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Digweed-Hutchings-Pearce-Wilson-Young-O'Reilly-Saunders-Penney-Fashanu-Conner-Mortimer.

That lot would give this year's team a game!

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013

Agree with that. Had some great times during the dark days. Met some great people and turning up en masse at both Bellotti's and Stanley's homes to protest was great fun along with all the meetings to come up with new ideas. The walkouts and Mansfield boycott were a superb show of our willpower and determination to fight the owners and and although the trips to Gillingham filled you with dread somehow they became almost fun days out as we somehow battled the odds to stay alive.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
We used to sit in the South Stand at Withdean and gaze across at the house being built near the bottom of Valley Drive. Its progress seemed somewhat slow, and we often used to ponder which would get built first: the Albion's new stadium or that house.

Astonishingly, given that we were at Withdean for over ten years, the Amex won the race. The house still isn't finished. Perhaps the owners ran out of money.

Also a Withdean memory: "GET THAT BLOODY BOARD DOWN!". And the annual bet we had around our seating block in the early days as to how many "goals" would be scored in the hammer net behind the far end of the ground that season.

Someone around me would leap up and cheer mentally every time the ball smashed into the back of the hammer net, which- believe it or not- did used to raise a smile (come on, you had to smile at something whilst sitting in those cruddy seats, usually in the rain). Somebody had to go and spoil the fun by sticking the away fans down that end so the net had to come down :(

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Apart from the first league game where we smashed Mansfield one of the earliest memories that I'm sure no one who was there will forget was that bloody Friday night game against Rochdale

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
John Templeman always going for the shot over the Goldstone South Stand. Rain ponchos at the Withdean. I'd not swap the Amex or the current set up, but we've lost a lot n the way.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Apart from the first league game where we smashed Mansfield one of the earliest memories that I'm sure no one who was there will forget was that bloody Friday night game against Rochdale

In the rain?

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Yep - seem to remember Cullip had been missing and Adams put him on the bench at the start of the game and we quickly went a couple of goals down - Clive Platt ran us ragged and it absolutely pissed down. Think it finished 4-3 to Rochdale.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Yep - seem to remember Cullip had been missing and Adams put him on the bench at the start of the game and we quickly went a couple of goals down - Clive Platt ran us ragged and it absolutely pissed down. Think it finished 4-3 to Rochdale.

For those inclined to panic about the Albion's current position, just read those words again.

"Clive Platt ran us ragged" :ohmy:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here