Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit check

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good free credit check website? I've had the free month trail at experian before. Or is it worth paying the monthly sign up fee?
Thanks

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why bother? I can see the point if you had been refused credit and wondered why, but is there a need for regular checking?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You can apply directly to the three credit agencies and get a paper copy - about £2 a go I believe.

Oh, it is also worthwhile checking occasionally regardless of not getting any rejection. I've found glaring errors on mine in the past that I've had to get corrected.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
You can apply directly to the three credit agencies and get a paper copy - about £2 a go I believe.

Oh, it is also worthwhile checking occasionally regardless of not getting any rejection. I've found glaring errors on mine in the past that I've had to get corrected.

Thanks, how do I go about that?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Something I recently found out was, all those comparison sites leave a mark on your file every time you just enquire about say car insurance.

They are worth avoiding if you are about to apply for large amounts of money as you want the file as clear as possible.

They leave a footprint but don't affect Credit Scoring.
Nothing to worry about.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Can anyone recommend a good free credit check website? I've had the free month trail at experian before. Or is it worth paying the monthly sign up fee?
Thanks

Get yourself an online bank account,pay in minimal amounts,always stay in credit,give it 12 months and then borrow at a sensible rate...

Or in answer to your question......try Noodle.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks, how do I go about that?

You apply directly via letter - the three you want are Experian, Equifax and Call Credit. Just use goggle to find their websites and they will say the process and cost of doing it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Err because I want to check my credit rating maybe??

also worth noting that at least 3 credit check companies are used by various institutions,so just getting 1 perhaps offers a 1/3rd of the picture..

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Why would have any reason to think you have anything but a perfect rating?

How would you know unless you checked ?

For what it's worth, when I last checked I found Orange had put on my record that I had 5 accounts with them and four of them were at addresses I'd never been to. In reality I only had one account. It took a while but I got the other four removed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
How would you know unless you checked ?

For what it's worth, when I last checked I found Orange had put on my record that I had 5 accounts with them and four of them were at addresses I'd never been to. In reality I only had one account. It took a while but I got the other four removed.

Address issues aside,their is not a lot you can do to increase a score,other than prolonged good house keeping of finance,overdrafts are a killer,missed payments on credit cards too,also maxed out credit cards..

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
noodle is pretty good for a freebie

I second this - although its called NODDLE (not NOODLE).
https://www.noddle.co.uk

It's free for life, and recommended by Martin Lewis on ITV's "Good Morning Britain" or whatever they call it these days.
The report is updated monthly, so that you can check there have been no funny goings-on (eg, new accounts raised in your name that might indicate identity theft).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here