Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Doncaster Rovers, One Direction & crowd funding

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
It looks like Doncaster are relying on their link with One Directions Louis Tomlinson to create new funding opportunities that will help them get to the Premiership, as got sent a link to the following earlier:

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/trust

What's everyone's thoughts? Can we expect to see five-a-sides with Fatboy Slim being offered by Brighton in the future?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I admire him for wanting to help Doncaster. Most Pop stars tend to jump on the top Premier League club bandwagon when asked who they support. Good for him sticking by a totally unfashionable club.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Can't blame him for wanting and proactively getting exposure and extra funds for the club he 's supported his whole life. Part of me wonders how Brighton fans would have reacted if something similar had happened to our club during the Withdean years.

Also Crowd funding has mostly been used for the creative industries so far, was just wondering if it may become more popular in future - especially for clubs who don't have the luxury of having parachute payments.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Clever thing to do, milk as much money as possible from his fans, who will spend the money. Use that to propel the team and keep yourself debt free. Great idea!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Admirable. But I doubt it will be sustainable long term, as boy bands of One Direction's ilk tend to have a very short shelf life.

Within five years he'll probably be in rehab and hoping for slots in panto and Coronation Street to pay the bills.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Admirable. But I doubt it will be sustainable long term, as boy bands of One Direction's ilk tend to have a very short shelf life.

Within five years he'll probably be in rehab and hoping for slots in panto and Coronation Street to pay the bills.

Not short enough..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not short enough..

Statistically, with any boy band:

-one gets addicted to drugs
-one gets covered in tattoos, starts hanging around with rock and/or hip hop bands who are essentially just humouring him, then has a breakdown and public arrest
-one comes out of the closet
-one gets married, then has an affair which is rumbled by a tabloid newspaper, and then spends years being branded a Love Rat by every media outlet
-one (the one least musically talented) becomes a recluse and declines the reunion ten years down the line. He'll be the panto one.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Statistically, with any boy band:

-one gets addicted to drugs
-one gets covered in tattoos, starts hanging around with rock and/or hip hop bands who are essentially just humouring him, then has a breakdown and public arrest
-one comes out of the closet
-one gets married, then has an affair which is rumbled by a tabloid newspaper, and then spends years being branded a Love Rat by every media outlet
-one (the one least musically talented) becomes a recluse and declines the reunion ten years down the line. He'll be the panto one.

thank you, that is a work of rare genius

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It looks like Doncaster are relying on their link with One Directions Louis Tomlinson to create new funding opportunities that will help them get to the Premiership, as got sent a link to the following earlier:

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/trust

What's everyone's thoughts? Can we expect to see five-a-sides with Fatboy Slim being offered by Brighton in the future?

We aren't some nothing side pulling in gates of 8,000 in the Championships that need to rely on a celebrity name to get us to the Premier League. I think it's pretty pathetic that they've sold their souls in order to become a circus for teenage girls, personally.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He is a United fan.

Eh? I know little of Wand Erection but I do know that particular one is a lifelong Rovers fan, hence him turning out in a meaningless reserve game last year.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Nope, he is a United fan that happens to be from Doncaster (I have a little sister).

If she's quoting stuff from fansite / magazine guff; there's a good chance he was told at some point to say he supported United by the media handlers who effectively control every element of their entire life.

Also, lots of people grow out of supporting Whoever Is Doing Well in their teenage years.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is going to be the issue for him (and Doncaster). Various newspaper stories have suggested they haven't got anywhere near their target for fund raising. They're asking punters- presumably this is aimed at the twelve year old girls and their parents- to fork out two hundred and fifty quid for a selfie with Louis Tomlinson (amongst other ideas).

So far, they've had about 60 people take the offer up, out of the 600 spots offered. I guess teenage girls don't tend to have £250 lying around, and unsurprisingly, most parents aren't prepared to spend that on their little darlings just for a photo with some wafty haired boyband singer.

Also, as has been said, teenagers grow out of their boyband fantasies incredibly quickly, and it won't be more than a couple of years before most of them are into other music and are faintly embarrassed by their years of sticking pictures of Harry Styles up on the wall. It's not like ordinary Rovers fans are going to pick up these packages, so this entire stunt is going to have a very short lifespan, relatively speaking.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm fuming they'd sink SO LOW to brand his thing #FansUnited - piss take that. They obviously forgot their history! (I'm not really fuming btw!)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Poor Louis. Don't really understand what has happened here. Seemed like a great initiative, not quite sure why it is being suggested that the football league didn't support it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28353954

Would they rather foreign crooks owned football clubs than locals?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here