Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should there be a 3rd/4th playoff game at the WC?

Should there be a 3rd/4th place game in the WC?

• Yes, yes there should, and the reason is in my post

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • No, it's a total waste of time

Votes: 81 84.4%

• Total voters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Personally, I can genuinely see absolutely no point in it at all. Is there anyone who can come up with a decent reason to have the game at all?

Poll to follow.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No. Pointless. As the commentators love to say, its 'the game nobody wants to play in'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Although, while I have said its pointless, it is sometime quite good FUN. Normally plenty of goals / and or over the top challenges, as the losing semi-finalists take out their frustrations on each other.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
In Sweden (I'm saying that a lot lately), they're so bloody proud of finishing 3rd at USA '94. It's not referred to as "that time we got to the semi-final", it's "the time we finished 3rd at the World Cup!".

Not so sure bigger footballing nations would have the same attitude, but I can understand why it's played.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Either David Luiz or Marcelo is going to lose the plot and get sent off

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I think Brazill will want to restore SOME pride and put on a bit of a show to thank their paying mugs, er sorry fans.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In Sweden (I'm saying that a lot lately), they're so bloody proud of finishing 3rd at USA '94. It's not referred to as "that time we got to the semi-final", it's "the time we finished 3rd at the World Cup!".

Not so sure bigger footballing nations would have the same attitude, but I can understand why it's played.

Are they? Wow. Ok,

At that point I paused for at least 30 seconds wondering what on earth I was going to put after the "ok,", but really don't know how to continue.

Perhaps you're right, and my attitude is conditioned by the thought that I'd be so distraught at losing the semi, I wouldn't give a fig about finishing 3rd or 4th. Case in point: Italia '90 - I honestly don't know whether we came 3rd or 4th. More - I can't offhand remember who we played...

Are they? Wow. Ok,

At that point I paused for at least 30 seconds wondering what on earth I was going to put after the "ok,", but really don't know how to continue.

Perhaps you're right, and my attitude is conditioned by the thought that I'd be so distraught at losing the semi, I wouldn't give a fig about finishing 3rd or 4th. Case in point: Italia '90 - I honestly don't know whether we came 3rd or 4th. More - I can't offhand remember who we played...

Italy, they won.

I have a vivid memory of Waddle, Butcher et al sitting with the Italian players after the game holding hand while doing a Mexican wave.

Tyreman123

Jun 27, 2013
I think it stems back to the old amateur days and the Olympic ideal of Gold, silver and Bronze...even now in Olympic sport (Eg Hockey, Boxing,Judo etc) there is always a play off for bronze and its worth winning as fourth gets nothing!

Here it is.

Ancelotti_Italy_Wave_1990Cs.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Oh yes; I do remember that now.

More to the point - following on from [MENTION=27980]Tyreman123[/MENTION] 's point - both sets of players are wearing medals. I wonder if they are the same as each other's (you know, a great big "L", perhaps?) or whether the Italians have a 3rd place medal (bronze equivalent, even though they actually look silver), and we have a 4th place medal (ummm, Tin, perhaps?)?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
As I'm earning circa £20 a goal from now on YES
Nb the average goals for this match is the highest for any 'competitive' match at any stage almost 4 over last 7 WC...so take that score off your Granny going over 2.5 goals to her under

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As I'm earning circa £20 a goal from now on YES
Nb the average goals for this match is the highest for any 'competitive' match at any stage almost 4 over last 7 WC...so take that score off your Granny going over 2.5 goals to her under

This is a decent, albeit highly personal, reason - the Brasil implosion must have had you dancing in the streets... :wink:

Hmmm - high scoring too on average, you say. Ta for that...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don't see the point of it personally. Why not extend it to a Quarter Finalists mini league playoff and the winner of that plays the loser of the 3rd placed play off, or go even further back to the last 16 and have a competition for those who fail to qualify from that etc. ....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was only thinking this the other day. If I had lost on penalties in a semi-final I would just want to come home. Rather that than be paraded as the pre-final entertainment. I spoke to some work colleagues who have excellent memories of World Cups, but when I asked them about the England match for third place in 1990 they couldn't remember the score. Sums it up really.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't see the point of it personally. Why not extend it to a Quarter Finalists mini league playoff and the winner of that plays the loser of the 3rd placed play off, or go even further back to the last 16 and have a competition for those who fail to qualify from that etc. ....

Or the losing eight from the second round could drop into another tournament for those who never made it in the first place. That would be a first........ Oh, wait...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Although, while I have said its pointless, it is sometime quite good FUN. Normally plenty of goals / and or over the top challenges, as the losing semi-finalists take out their frustrations on each other.

i recall it being dull when i watched one. or maybe i just wasnt interested. either way, i do have high hopes for this one to match your description especially with the Brazilians out to prove something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here