Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WTF !!! - People wonder why this country is in such a mess !!!!!!!!!!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So, due to circumstances our household has had to apply for working tax credits and we checked it using the online calculator.

Got the manual form sent, filled it out and sent it back. As we hadn't heard anything after four weeks we phoned HMRC. Great, an hours wait just to be told you shouldn't phone for an update for at least EIGHT weeks after your application. Wait the eight weeks to be told "Why did you wait so long to chase ?" - Errrr - excuse f**king me !!!!!

Oh, by the way, we appear to have lost your application. We'll send another form.

Two days later a small cheque arrives - no covering letter or anything. Two days later a letter arrives saying we hadn't provide bank details ( which WERE on the form ). Two days later another letter arrives with the calculation of entitlement which ignores entirely the fact we have a dependent child and gets my partners work hours completely wrong DESPITE it all being completed on the form.

Ring up ( over an hours wait again ) and give the details AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Letter today, thank you for your updated bank details but still showing no child and the wrong work hours.

What kind of morons do HMRC employ ? Really ??

To top it all off, there is no government minister in charge of HMRC so you have nobody other than HMRC to complain to about their utter shambolic incompetence.

And don't even get me started on how pathetic the council tax department in B&H Council is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** and breathe ****

Seriously, how difficult should this be ? Why not send all the letters together and save LOADS of money ( as single simple example ) ? It's despairing that this countries governmental departments seem incapable of even the most basic of tasks.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Due to cutbacks HMRC only employ monkeys nowadays who have very very small brains - the only place you can get though on the phone almost immediately and speak to somebody who is able to help you there and then is the debt collection department.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I've spent many occasions dealing with HMRC through work for other Government departments to get them to change the way they do things. They are incredibly bureaucratic. They do have a minister responsible. It's David Gauke who is exchequer secretary at the Treasury who have responsibility for HMRC. So you can write to him or George Osborne to complain. Not that it will probably get you anywhere. Sorry to hear the situation you're in. I'm just embarking on the self-employment route so will be doubtless eligible for tax credits and I'm not looking forward to the process at all.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I worked on the delivery of the Tax Credits system to HMRC back in 2003-5.
It was the brain child of the then Chancellor Gordon Brown.
The requirements were unknown but the go-live date was fixed.

Always said that ar$e should of been tried for treason for this system.
Not at all surprised that 10 years on it still has problems ....

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So, due to circumstances our household has had to apply for working tax credits and we checked it using the online calculator.

Got the manual form sent, filled it out and sent it back. As we hadn't heard anything after four weeks we phoned HMRC. Great, an hours wait just to be told you shouldn't phone for an update for at least EIGHT weeks after your application. Wait the eight weeks to be told "Why did you wait so long to chase ?" - Errrr - excuse f**king me !!!!!

Oh, by the way, we appear to have lost your application. We'll send another form.

Two days later a small cheque arrives - no covering letter or anything. Two days later a letter arrives saying we hadn't provide bank details ( which WERE on the form ). Two days later another letter arrives with the calculation of entitlement which ignores entirely the fact we have a dependent child and gets my partners work hours completely wrong DESPITE it all being completed on the form.

Ring up ( over an hours wait again ) and give the details AGAIN !!!!!!!!

Letter today, thank you for your updated bank details but still showing no child and the wrong work hours.

What kind of morons do HMRC employ ? Really ??

To top it all off, there is no government minister in charge of HMRC so you have nobody other than HMRC to complain to about their utter shambolic incompetence.

And don't even get me started on how pathetic the council tax department in B&H Council is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** and breathe ****

Seriously, how difficult should this be ? Why not send all the letters together and save LOADS of money ( as single simple example ) ? It's despairing that this countries governmental departments seem incapable of even the most basic of tasks.

It is the cycle of blame, the last government, implemented something that does not work. There is nothing to be gained politically from fixing it, so we will throw it away and start again - change government and repeat.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I'm just embarking on the self-employment route so will be doubtless eligible for tax credits and I'm not looking forward to the process at all.

A small tip, if when you ring HMRC you get put into the automated system, lie about the date you applied. Make sure the date you type in was at least 8 weeks previous. Devious possibly but it allows you to actually then speak to a 'human'.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I worked on the delivery of the Tax Credits system to HMRC back in 2003-5.
It was the brain child of the then Chancellor Gordon Brown.
The requirements were unknown but the go-live date was fixed.

Always said that ar$e should of been tried for treason for this system.
Not at all surprised that 10 years on it still has problems ....

With EDS by chance ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
People that work in offices are leeches

Never trust a man in a suit

It's not necessary to wear a suit or work in an office to be utterly incompetent.

One of my main issues is the complete uncaring drone like attitude of the people I've dealt with. I've spent all my working life in the private sector often working within public organisations. It has always been part of my responsibilities to raise with my employer when I see something not working properly or efficiently. That doesn't appear to be the case in central and local government departments, instead it's more "well that's the way it is". Awful attitude to have.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I must have got lucky? I have a split tax code due to two sources of income. Twice in the last year when I've had reason to call HMRC over this issue, I've got through in reasonably quick time and spoken to somebody who appears half sensible and knows what they are talking about. Tax codes suitably adjusted plus rebates all in under two weeks.

Where did I go wrong?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here