Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burger puts two Argus reporters in hospital - Not Andy Naylor

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
So who's tried the XXX Hot Chilli Burger then?

FROM THE ARGUS:
Burger puts two Argus reporters in hospital

Two journalists at The Argus were hospitalised after trying a burger containing a sauce hotter than pepper spray.

Assistant news editor Arron Hendy, and trainee reporter Ruari Barratt were taken by ambulance to the Royal Sussex County Hospital after taking one bite each of an XXX Hot Chilli Burger from Burger Off, in Brunswick Street West, Hove. Mr Hendy agreed to try the burger after the takeaway came in the top ten of burger restaurants in the country – as rated on the Trip Advisor website.

After taking one bite he decided the burger was too spicy to eat anymore and was physically ok after drinking lots of milk.

Mr Barratt took a bite and minutes later suffered severe stomach pains which increased. He lost the feeling in his hands, his legs were shaking and his eyes rolled back in his head.

And within two hours Mr Hendy was suffering similar problems, following his colleague to hospital.

Mr Barratt said: “It was hard to walk. I needed to drink milk to neutralise the burning, which was hard because I was hyperventilating so much my hands had seized up.”

Mr Hendy said: “I was in so much pain I was telling people I felt like I was dying.

“It’s embarrassing but it felt that bad.If you’re thinking of trying this burger for a dare, just don’t.”

A waiver drawn up by owner Nick Gambardella has to be signed by customers, releasing the staff of Burger Off from any responsibility for its effects.

Mr Gambardella said: “We do try and take a certain level of responsibility. We don’t sell the burger to anyone under 18, and if someone’s been drinking we don’t let them have it.

“I spend about as much time convincing people not to try one as I do selling them. I tell people it will ruin their weekend.” The burger, which costs £3.90, contains a sauce made in India reportedly using about 5,000 kilos of piri piri chilis concentrated into one kilo.

Mr Gambardella, 54, of Queens Park, Brighton, estimates the sauce to measure between seven and nine million on the Scoville scale, the measurement of heat in spicy food.

Pepper spray rates between 500,000 and 5 million on the scale. Tobasco sauce is between 2,500 and 5,000.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Why people would even consider eating it, is amazing enough....Not sure I see the point in paying 3.99 for something im going to essentially throw away, after it has hurt me...

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Whilst not a complete chili head I once decided to spice up my baked beans with Dave's Insanity Sauce which was curiously available in ASDA. I should have heeded the jokey reference on the bottle which said it could be used to clear driveways. I only used half a teaspoon and my mouth was on fire and the lips tingled for 2 hours afterwards.

Have noted that YouTube is littered with people taking the Insanity Sauce challenge. You have been warned!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
"A waiver drawn up by owner Nick Gambardella has to be signed by customers, releasing the staff of Burger Off from any responsibility for its effects."

This was the clue missed by the Argus reporters. If they are stupid enough to sign this and eat the burger then they deserve the consequences. Idiots. Let's hope Laurel & Hardy are not moved to the sports desk!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How much legal standing does the waiver have? Should they really be selling something like that?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"A waiver drawn up by owner Nick Gambardella has to be signed by customers, releasing the staff of Burger Off from any responsibility for its effects."

This was the clue missed by the Argus reporters. If they are stupid enough to sign this and eat the burger then they deserve the consequences. Idiots. Let's hope Laurel & Hardy are not moved to the sports desk!

They only had 'one bite each' :lol:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Whilst not a complete chili head I once decided to spice up my baked beans with Dave's Insanity Sauce which was curiously available in ASDA. I should have heeded the jokey reference on the bottle which said it could be used to clear driveways. I only used half a teaspoon and my mouth was on fire and the lips tingled for 2 hours afterwards.

Have noted that YouTube is littered with people taking the Insanity Sauce challenge. You have been warned!

That stuff is absolutely brutal. Stupidly hot.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
They wouldnt get anything - they KNEW what they were in for. Some people can finish the burger, where as those who cant handle spicy foods will react badly to it.

I do love Burger Off - best burgers in Brighton.

That's what I mean. It'll bring more people to the burger joint. Probably all a set up (if it actually happened)

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

My girlfriend took the Insanity Sauce challenge last week. She didn't have a clue though. What am I like?

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
How much legal standing does the waiver have? Should they really be selling something like that?

Section 2(1) of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 states 'A person cannot by reference to any contract term or to a notice given to persons generally or to particular persons exclude or restrict his liability for death or personal injury resulting from negligence'. So, any waiver that says 'we accept no liability for death or personal injury as a result of you eating this burger ' is null and void.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Section 2(1) of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 states 'A person cannot by reference to any contract term or to a notice given to persons generally or to particular persons exclude or restrict his liability for death or personal injury resulting from negligence'. So, any waiver that says 'we accept no liability for death or personal injury as a result of you eating this burger ' is null and void.

Fairly sure their waiver isnt for legal purposes, more just to say that you have actually agreed to do it.

If it somehow ended up in court, Burger Off wouldnt lose simply because they have stated fully about the product, the guy who runs it tried to put them off AND they knew exactly what they were in for. As an aside, there is an article from a Brighton magazine on the wall in Burger Off of when one of their reporters tried out the XXX Burger and it shows what happened to him, which also includes an ambulance.

If you attempt it, then you shouldnt be trusted with money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's only null and void if the vendor is negligent.... which isn't the case here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here