Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Cats in the Ouse Valley

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
He used to live near Paignton Zoo don't you know, that practically makes him Chris Packham. What a complete non story.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I saw a Dragon once between Glynde and Berwick

True story.....

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Mrs Lonnon, who has been on safari twice......................I'd better have a drive over and take a look, I've wandered around the South African bush and visited Marwell Zoo, where they have a Leopard many times.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I always quite liked the idea of big cats in sussex, beast of bevendean, etc. Unfortunately, i was recently talking to someone who is extremely knowledgeable about wildlife, works for the national trust and spends all their time in the woods and fields around sussex. They told me that none of the people they worked with had ever seen any evidence of big cats anywhere in sussex despite spending all their time out and about. No prints, droppings, not a thing :(

Next, they'll be telling me the Loch Ness monster isn't real.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I always quite liked the idea of big cats in sussex, beast of bevendean, etc. Unfortunately, i was recently talking to someone who is extremely knowledgeable about wildlife, works for the national trust and spends all their time in the woods and fields around sussex. They told me that none of the people they worked with had ever seen any evidence of big cats anywhere in sussex despite spending all their time out and about. No prints, droppings, not a thing :(

I get exactly what you are saying
and this is the but
if you are not looking you won't find

I sort of like the idea that there is/are big cats around in Sussex,while we lived in Wales there were many "sightings" of big cats

maybe the UK is not as overpopulated by humans as we think.........they might just might be avoiding us

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I get exactly what you are saying
and this is the but
if you are not looking you won't find

I sort of like the idea that there is/are big cats around in Sussex,while we lived in Wales there were many "sightings" of big cats

maybe the UK is not as overpopulated by humans as we think.........they might just might be avoiding us

I agree I would love there to be wild cats avoiding us, but these are people who are trained and experienced in spotting any change or anything unusual in rural areas. They spend thousands of man days per year all over the more remote areas of sussex and still haven't seen anything. I still hope they are wrong but realistically ???

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I do quite a lot of night fishing on the Ouse past Lewes, I don't like the idea of big cats roaming around on top of the other strange noises you hear at the dead of night!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
A Jungle Cat was run over and killed on Hayling Island in 1988 (about as close to Sussex as I can find)
http://scotcats.online.fr/abc/realcats/index.html
I wrote this piece some years ago after seeing a puma in Galloway (South West Scotland)
https://seagullnic.wordpress.com/20...at-out-of-the-cage-and-keeping-a-low-profile/
But agree that they would unlikely be found in more populated areas like the South East.
I remember an incident about 15 years or so ago when a woman in Hull saw a fully grown Lion walk past the end of her garden... it turned out it had escaped from a circus or zoo!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've seen this cat, or at least I've seen something that looks like it. It was about 6 years ago on Neville rd Lewes near Neville recreation ground. It was late on a dark and foggy night and I was driving but didn't stop. I saw a big cat by the side of the road, it looked like a puma or lynx. When I got home I googled 'big cat Lewes' and found articles about the beast of Bevendean, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up! Whenever I recount this story to friends, they try and convince me it was a dog I saw, this was the first thing I thought but there were no people around (I looked) and the thing was cat shaped. I am prepared to accept it was a dog I saw, it was a dark night but at the time, I was convinced it was a big cat and still believe it could be.

Last edited:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

Agreed,never any evidence or a dead body of one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here