Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Hearn sells-out at Leyton Orient.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Weststander,just a thread title. No hyperbole or spite from me. Could you imagine if he had taken us over instead of Archer an co.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's a shame. He has kept that club going for quite a few years now and it was starting to make some progress. Perhaps they are now getting to the stage where they need big investment if they want to get into the championship.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He came to an 'agreement' last week with the Premier League over the decision to allow West Ham to play at the Olympic Stadium. Do you think they offered a corporate box at the Stratford Stadium?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Can't see why people dislike the fella. He has done Ok at Orient and rather him than the three Amigo's we had that were trying to ruin us

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Can't see why people dislike the fella. He has done Ok at Orient and rather him than the three Amigo's we had that were trying to ruin us

Memories are (thankfully) hazy now but I have a feeling he was shouting pretty loudly for the Albion to be docked points or thrown out of the league following the infamous 4-4 draw at the Goldstone in 1997.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He came to an 'agreement' last week with the Premier League over the decision to allow West Ham to play at the Olympic Stadium.
Did the Premier League have anything to do with giving West Sham the right to play at the Olympic stadium?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hearn has taken Orient as far as they can go and he knows it. Once West Ham move into the ' parish ' and sweep up the floating support, then the O's will start to decline. The area will not be able to sustain three league clubs ( incl Dag + Red ) and it will see the two smaller clubs slip down the pyramid. Orient will become a basement club ( Div 2...no better ) and the Daggers will only be a non-league club.
They are all simply too close together and something will have to give. The O's and the Daggers struggle to get gates of 10,000 between them and WHU will be looking for this sort of increase on their gates. It has to come from somewhere.
Hearn is a shrewd cookie and is getting out after a pretty good season for Orient. He can see the tough times ahead and is cashing in his chips now ( at the right time )

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Did the Premier League have anything to do with giving West Sham the right to play at the Olympic stadium?

It was a comment at the bottom of the article, knowing that most people only scan the first few lines of a report, I thought I'd share it, as it seemed an unusual point. Perhaps BH has been waiting for the 'settlement' before flogging the team off. :shrug:

In full then;

"Hearn had wanted Orient to move from Brisbane Road to the Olympic Stadium, but the London Legacy Development Corporation appointed West Ham United as their preferred bidders and, in March 2013, the Premier League side were awarded the right to occupy the stadium.

He had wanted Orient to groundshare with West Ham but saw his club lose their bid for a judicial review into the decision to grant the Hammers tenancy.

Orient settled a dispute with the Premier League over their decision to allow West Ham to play in the stadium when they reached a "confidential agreement" last week. "

Does that suggest the Premier League had nothing to do with stopping Orient playing in Stratford?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Memories are (thankfully) hazy now but I have a feeling he was shouting pretty loudly for the Albion to be docked points or thrown out of the league following the infamous 4-4 draw at the Goldstone in 1997.

He was very vocal about it. And when we got docked two points he wanted us kicked out of the league for good.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

He was VERY vocal. He wasted no time in turning the knife in the interviews afterwards. I guess he wasn't impressed at seeing somebody try to remove one of Ray Wilkins legs?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here