Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pink Floyd To Release First New Album in 20 Years

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Didn't think we'd hear any more from them after the death of Richard Wright, but.......

Pink Floyd is about to return with their first album in 20 years. Polly Samson, the wife of singer-guitarist David Gilmour, surprised fans on Saturday when she casually announced over Twitter that the band has a new record in the works and it's coming out this fall. A representative for Gilmour confirmed the release of the album to Rolling Stone.

"Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called 'The Endless River,'" Samson wrote. "Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful." (Keyboardist and founding member Wright died of cancer in 2008 at the age of 65.)

The band had just celebrated the 20th anniversary of 1994's The Division Bell with an extravagant reissue of the album on July 1st. The new material appears to be connected to unreleased recordings made during the Division Bell sessions.

Durga McBroom-Hudson, a singer who toured with Pink Floyd in the 1980s and 1990s and is apparently involved in the new project, offered more details on The Endless River through her Facebook page. "The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled 'The Big Spliff' that Nick Mason spoke about)," she explained. "Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo." She went on to emphasize that the new album will consist entirely of unreleased songs.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pink-floyd-to-release-first-new-album-in-20-years-this-fall-20140706#ixzz36lPg2Blc
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
so, 20 year old material being released.........

Based on sessions from the Division Bell era yes, but still being worked on and completed as we speak. Division Bell is a masterpiece, so if these 'new' songs are even half as good, then we should be in for a treat.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Will be worth checking out. I know purists love the earlier stuff, but I adore Monetary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell. Probably the band I most turn to when I want something on the iPod.

Yes, I've got both those albums on my phone and probably listen to them more than Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here. Especially good on the morning train, when I want to drift off from thinking about the working day ahead.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While playing the earlier material far more than the Division Bell, will still get a copy on release.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes, I've got both those albums on my phone and probably listen to them more than Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here. Especially good on the morning train, when I want to drift off from thinking about the working day ahead.

I think that Dark Side is musically perfect, in that you change one note or effect and the overall album would be lessened, but I don't tend to listen to it as often as the others. Don't know how many times I have bought a cooy of Dark Side though over the years. Vinyl when it came out, cassette later, another vinyl at some point, CD and dowloads.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I seem to be in the minority here but, for me, no Waters means it isn't Floyd.

Sorry but i don't agree.

Musically he was great and the early stuff was too. But towards the end they became a vehicle for some serious self indulgence as found in the Final Cut- without doubt the worst Floyd Album. Strangely though I loved the pros and cons of hitchhiking

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I seem to be in the minority here but, for me, no Waters means it isn't Floyd.

I agree.....somewhat.

It's Pink Floyd, but not the 'Proper' Pink Floyd. OK you can argue that the 'Proper' Floyd constitutes the original line up but without Waters' influence they wouldn't have become the band I know and love.

Not overly excited about a new album.

Now if Roger Waters was releasing some new material.......then I'd be like a kid at Christmas.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I hope they tour. One band I wish I had seen, in their Pulse tour era. Would love to see the customary Comfortably Numb finish :)

They won't tour. Gilmour has said a few times that he has his own projects and touring takes a lot of effort and time. They might be open to another 'Live 8' style one-off, but not a tour. Also, being picky, i know but they usually finish on Run Like Hell...at least in later tours. Besides, now Richard Wright has passed I seriously doubt they'll ever play under the banner again (I know there is still Jon Carin who played live with them, but its not the same)

I'm excited for this, i rate DB as one of the best Floyd albums (some of the earlier work can be hard to get into...i'm talking Atom Heart Mother & Ummagumma in the main). Admittedly, some parts of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason was utter bobbins (The Dogs Of War...what were they thinking?) but TDB more than made up for it.

Gilmour & co don't seem to release something purely for the money or anything half-baked, so it could be a good one :D

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I agree.....somewhat.

It's Pink Floyd, but not the 'Proper' Pink Floyd. OK you can argue that the 'Proper' Floyd constitutes the original line up but without Waters' influence they wouldn't have become the band I know and love.

Not overly excited about a new album.

Now if Roger Waters was releasing some new material.......then I'd be like a kid at Christmas.
:thumbsup: Feel the same way - of course it's still Pink Floyd, just not the same LD But I do hope it's at least well put together as I think Rick Wright deserves another tribute to his career to go alongside 'Wish You Were Here' (which just feels very Rick Wright to me).

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
Now if Roger Waters was releasing some new material.......then I'd be like a kid at Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you there. Also i always thought that Amused To Death would have been a brilliant Pink Floyd album.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here