Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Modern Day Music Festivals - too much filler?

Jul 7, 2003
This is probably one for the older posters on here.

Having looked at the line ups for numerous festivals this year, there seem to be a huge number of bands playing across multiple stages. This could be viewed as great value for money but there does seem to be a lack of quality.

Festival line ups are always going to be subjective but it seems that the organisers just want you on site for as long as possible to offset the costs of setting up the event rather than delivering a quality bill. Ticket costs are quite high and by the time you have added in all the other costs for a three / four/ five day festival trip it is an expensive way to watch live music.

Using the heavier side of music as an example, back in the day the Monsters of Rock at Donington was a single day event (I think I paid £15 for my ticket in 1986) with half a dozen bands. The bill usually had some very big bands as headliners and second on the bill, well established bands in the middle and good up and coming bands on at the start. Having looked at the line ups for Download and Sonisphere, you could probably get one good day of music out of each festival but these go on for three days.

Festivals across other genres seem to have the same problem. Even Glastonbury this year seemed to struggle to get a decent selection of bands to fill the line up.

I know I am getting older and grumpier but do others feel the same?

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I think it's the luck of he draw . Download this year struggled to get my attention . There were a few bands I would have liked to have seen , but they were few and far between. Aerosmith , Offspring , Twisted Sister , Volbeat, Rob Zombie,to name a few .But it was a few . I think the issue with this years Download is the future. They clearly see signing younger bands as headliners as their way to perpetuate the festival for years to come. They are right of course . The days of seeing Sabbath , AC/DC and Motorhead are drawing to a close. Maiden , Metallica and Slayer probably have another 10 years , so it makes sense to put in new blood. Unfortunatly , some of those new bands do not appeal. Having said that , I went to Hyde park on Friday, which was as near as you wil get to an old style Monsters of Rock. One day . One stage , Sabbath , Soundgarden , Faith No More , Motorhead and Soulfly. I actually pitched my tent at Sonisphere before going to Hyde Park, so I spent the next to days at Knebworth. The line was so good over all stages , it was a struggle to see every band I intended to. I saw some great bands that I had heard of and not heard of . Alestorm were fantastic . Metal songs about pirates and drinking to the tunes of sea shanties and Irish jigs. My new favourite band of the weekend (had not heard them before) was Baby Metal. THree young Japanese girl singers doing dance routines to death metal. Check them out on YouTube. THe lineup on those last two days was so rich , I had to bin two of my favourite bands , Slayer and Alice in Chains , in order to see New Model Army and The Anti Nowhere League. Oh ......and of course Chas and Dave played .
Great weekend and probably the first time I have seen three proper legends headlining over consequtive evenings . You sometimes only get two. But I had Sabbath , Maiden and Metallica .
So I think it depends . Download seemed a bit thin on the ground for good bands this year , whereas Sonisphere was brimming with them.

.......Alestorm were fantastic . Metal songs about pirates and drinking to the tunes of sea shanties and Irish jigs........

Never heard of them before but now bookmarked on Spotify for a loud listen on Spotify when WFH tomorrow! Sounds utterly mental in a good way.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Never heard of them before but now bookmarked on Spotify for a loud listen on Spotify when WFH tomorrow! Sounds utterly mental in a good way.

They are playing at the Concorde in August .It wil be a seriously joyous night out . Airbourne from Australia , a kind of OTT AC/DC (also at Sonisphere ) are also playing at the Concorde in August . Two great nights out coming up. Machine Head are also playing in August , but alas tickets sold out in 2 minutes . That will be me standing by the side door that night with a few cans.

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
They are playing at the Concorde in August .It wil be a seriously joyous night out . Airbourne from Australia , a kind of OTT AC/DC (also at Sonisphere ) are also playing at the Concorde in August . Two great nights out coming up. Machine Head are also playing in August , but alas tickets sold out in 2 minutes . That will be me standing by the side door that night with a few cans.

Airbourne and alestorm at Concorde in August? DID NOT KNOW THAT!!! A shame MH sold out quickly. I got caught off guard :laugh:

I think it's the luck of he draw . Download this year struggled to get my attention . There were a few bands I would have liked to have seen , but they were few and far between. Aerosmith , Offspring , Twisted Sister , Volbeat, Rob Zombie,to name a few .But it was a few . I think the issue with this years Download is the future. They clearly see signing younger bands as headliners as their way to perpetuate the festival for years to come. They are right of course . The days of seeing Sabbath , AC/DC and Motorhead are drawing to a close. Maiden , Metallica and Slayer probably have another 10 years , so it makes sense to put in new blood. Unfortunatly , some of those new bands do not appeal. Having said that , I went to Hyde park on Friday, which was as near as you wil get to an old style Monsters of Rock. One day . One stage , Sabbath , Soundgarden , Faith No More , Motorhead and Soulfly. I actually pitched my tent at Sonisphere before going to Hyde Park, so I spent the next to days at Knebworth. The line was so good over all stages , it was a struggle to see every band I intended to. I saw some great bands that I had heard of and not heard of . Alestorm were fantastic . Metal songs about pirates and drinking to the tunes of sea shanties and Irish jigs. My new favourite band of the weekend (had not heard them before) was Baby Metal. THree young Japanese girl singers doing dance routines to death metal. Check them out on YouTube. THe lineup on those last two days was so rich , I had to bin two of my favourite bands , Slayer and Alice in Chains , in order to see New Model Army and The Anti Nowhere League. Oh ......and of course Chas and Dave played .
Great weekend and probably the first time I have seen three proper legends headlining over consequtive evenings . You sometimes only get two. But I had Sabbath , Maiden and Metallica .
So I think it depends . Download seemed a bit thin on the ground for good bands this year , whereas Sonisphere was brimming with them.

Soulfly played at The haunt (shithole near the pier, but quite small and intimate) last Saturday (same day as lewes). A very good show. Max Cavalera's son was on the drums and very talented at it.

Also it may be worth pointing out, The Defiled and Avatar have announced a gig ate Brighton Audio (odd, right?). £12.50 :D The defiled were very good last time they came to Brighton (well, second to last time).

Jul 7, 2003

Alestorm are playing in October, not August. Not heard of them before but from a brief listen / look on youtube looks like this could be a fun night out. They remind me a bit of the mighty Manowar - despite being heavily 'themed' they have some decent music to back it up.

Off to see Black Star Riders at Concorde2 on Sunday 20th which should be good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is probably one for the older posters on here.

Having looked at the line ups for numerous festivals this year, there seem to be a huge number of bands playing across multiple stages. This could be viewed as great value for money but there does seem to be a lack of quality.

Festival line ups are always going to be subjective but it seems that the organisers just want you on site for as long as possible to offset the costs of setting up the event rather than delivering a quality bill. Ticket costs are quite high and by the time you have added in all the other costs for a three / four/ five day festival trip it is an expensive way to watch live music.

Using the heavier side of music as an example, back in the day the Monsters of Rock at Donington was a single day event (I think I paid £15 for my ticket in 1986) with half a dozen bands. The bill usually had some very big bands as headliners and second on the bill, well established bands in the middle and good up and coming bands on at the start. Having looked at the line ups for Download and Sonisphere, you could probably get one good day of music out of each festival but these go on for three days.

Festivals across other genres seem to have the same problem. Even Glastonbury this year seemed to struggle to get a decent selection of bands to fill the line up.

I know I am getting older and grumpier but do others feel the same?

Is it not that - as you're getting older - you probably just haven't heard of as many of the new bands? As a relatively young person I've heard of pretty much every band on the main 3 stages.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it not that - as you're getting older - you probably just haven't heard of as many of the new bands? As a relatively young person I've heard of pretty much every band on the main 3 stages.

Ouch.

PFJ

Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Alestorm are playing in October, not August. Not heard of them before but from a brief listen / look on youtube looks like this could be a fun night out. They remind me a bit of the mighty Manowar - despite being heavily 'themed' they have some decent music to back it up.

Off to see Black Star Riders at Concorde2 on Sunday 20th which should be good.

You are absolutly right . Alestorm are playing in October . Just bought tickets.Got way too exited when I saw my C2 newsletter . Bought tickets for Airbourne and Black Riders as well. Really annoyed missed Steve Harris's solo band last night though.

Jul 7, 2003

To a certain degree maybe although I still listen to and buy a lot music. Do I need to explain the concept of buying music to the younger posters here?:lolol:

However, having watch some of the coverage of these festivals it isn't so much that I haven't heard of them but there seem to be too many bands who would struggle to fill the Concorde2 but are playing major festivals.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To a certain degree maybe although I still listen to and buy a lot music. Do I need to explain the concept of buying music to the younger posters here?:lolol:

However, having watch some of the coverage of these festivals it isn't so much that I haven't heard of them but there seem to be too many bands who would struggle to fill the Concorde2 but are playing major festivals.

That might be a fair point. Thing is there are SO many festivals now, and so many stages at each as well. I wonder if that's something to do with it.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Regarding "filler acts" at festivals & concerts, I think its more to do with which bands management company has the most clout/ influence/is friends with the promoters? Whether that band is set for fame and multi million pound contracts or destined to be utter shite with a regular slot at The Rose & Crown on a Friday Night does't really count for much.

Talking of dodgy support acts. I'm planning to see Neil Young at Hyde Park tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that. One of the supports is Tom Odell. I'm not looking forward to that. :(

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
Regarding "filler acts" at festivals & concerts, I think its more to do with which bands management company has the most clout/ influence/is friends with the promoters? Whether that band is set for fame and multi million pound contracts or destined to be utter shite with a regular slot at The Rose & Crown on a Friday Night does't really count for much.

Talking of dodgy support acts. I'm planning to see Neil Young at Hyde Park tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that. One of the supports is Tom Odell. I'm not looking forward to that. :(

Dont worry, Hyde Park has terrible sound and an audience that is filled with people that like to chat loudly with their back to the stage until the main act comes on, and even then figure out they only know 3 songs and wander off. You wont be able to hear Tom Odell. I wanted to go for The National alone, but always hated the Hyde Park experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here