Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winning

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
I think my difficulties with this issue began with Jose mourinhio's appalling behaviour, during his first period at Chelsea, particularly after being eliminated from the late stages of the champions league. And I recognise his behaviour is not alone, (Barton, Suarez, etc).

But last nights actions from Tim Krul during the penalty shoot out, really did take things to a new depths.
The saying goes ' show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser'.
But surely individual and collective reputation are worth more?

Am I alone in hopeing Holland a team I've always previously admired, now get their comeuppance, and get a good shoeing against Argentina?

I cannot think of many bha players antics I've been ashamed off over the years ( El-abd's feigning injury in confrontation would be one though). But maybe that's why bha have continually failed to establish themselves at the top level.

I'm interested to know what other people feel about this 'gamesmanship/unsporting' behavioural issue?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The problem at this world cup is the ref's, seem to be turning a bind eye to everything. Krul knew he'd get away with it, come up Argentina...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did I miss something? What did Krul do, exactly? It didn't seem anything out of the ordinary.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I wasn't impressed by his antics (even though they had the desired effect) - thought the referee should have stopped it. I am also getting increasingly annoyed at Robben's diving/ falling over etc. I know some will say that you should use all tactics at your disposal to win and that only the winners are remembered but I think there is a growing sense that the manner of the victory is important. Maybe I am being idealistic but there is a thin line between using the laws of the game to your advantage and down right cheating. I am becoming more and more Pro Messi - as far as I can see he tries to stay on his feet.
NO matter what some think footballers do have a responsibility in terms of how their behaviour is perceived by the younger generation. My son is 11 and plays in goal and thankfully he was just as annoyed as me by Krul's behaviour but I have witnessed play acting by the opposition in a few of his matches. One example was a player who feigned an elbow to his face because my son managed to catch a high cross before he could reach it. Luckily the ref and to be fair the boy's manager saw it all and made him get up and apologise to my son - but was a sad situation which upset my son.

I just think that cheating is an admission that maybe you are not good enough to win. As I say maybe I am an idealist - test is if the Albion were to gain promotion through dubious tactics!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
All Krul did was a bit of old-fashioned psychological warfare. You've got to be prepared for that. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary or anything outside the laws of the game.

As for Robben's diving, well, that clearly is cheating.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
in that very refined English game cricket its called sledging

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Do you really think any Dutch fans genuinely care about Krul's 'antics' last night? They're in the semi-final of the World Cup.

Had Joe Hart done what Krul did last night, we'd be saying what a hero he was and how quality it was.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Didn't see the game. What exactly did Krul do?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
goalies have to much power in these situations,the taker is waiting around for what seems like ages,while these goalies have their little party piece

there should be a certain amount of time allowed,refs should just blow the whistle and let the taker slot it into an empty net,bet your life the goalie will be ready next time

sign of the times I'm afraid,could you imagine Banks or Jennings doing any of this

never liked this penalty shoot out nonsense anyway,have a golden goal and take a player off from each side after every 5 minutes,your get a goal soon enough

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The entire shoot-out is here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28188372

Basically, he had a little chat with the opposition penalty taker and took a while to get onto his goal line. No big deal.
Brilliant. Thanks for that. I'm inclined to agree. Funny how people that didn't used to mind AeA trying to get inside striker's heads find Krul essentially doing the the same, a problem. Is there anything in the laws of the game that actually prohibits having a word with the penalty taker?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Well in my day you would have been cautioned for 'ungentleman conduct'. Mind you I still cant get my head round why shielding the ball out of play and stopping your opponent from playing the ball is not obstruction. Seems like the rules have been changed but last time I looked they were still part of the laws of the game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well in my day you would have been cautioned for 'ungentleman conduct'. Mind you I still cant get my head round why shielding the ball out of play and stopping your opponent from playing the ball is not obstruction. Seems like the rules have been changed but last time I looked they were still part of the laws of the game.

Shielding the ball out of play is a skilful part of the game, requiring good judgement, strength and positioning. I'd be disappointed if it was outlawed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Were Krul's tactics any worse than Grobbellaar's famous jelly legs routine?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Well we have to differ on that because I dont think deliberately stopping an opponent from pkaying the ball is anymore skillful than sticking an arm in front of him or pulling his shirt. Anyway as far as I can see it is unlawful according to the laws of the game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All he tried to do was unsettle them, maybe the other keeper felt uneasy about doing that

I wondered that.
Clearly, Van Gaal is a manager who will employ every trick in the book and he will have briefed his keepers before the game. He must have felt that Krul was the ' stronger character ' in terms of employing gamesmanship and that this tactic could unsettle one or two Costa Rica players not used to the prssure.
I'm not sure that there was a lot to choose between the keepers re their ability to save penalties but Van Gaal obviously felt that Krul was the better man to carry out his ' gameplan '

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here