Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
mackail-smith-050714-l229-1719163_478x359.jpg

Craig Mackail-Smith
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
06:00 6th July 2014
by James Hilsum
I just took a touch in the box and thought I might as well have a crack, so it was nice to see it float in the far corner."
Craig Mackail-Smith
2014/15 season tickets are now on general sale. Call 0844 327 1901 or buy online

Craig Mackail-Smith was delighted to be back on the scoresheet against Lewes and is targeting a full pre-season with Brighton & Hove Albion ahead of the new campaign.

Mackail-Smith looked sharp and scored Albion’s third goal within a minute of coming on at the start of the second-half and says he feels good after an impressive 45-minute display.He told seagulls.co.uk, “It was nice to get a goal so early. I think I scored within my first couple of touches, so it was a good feeling to get back on the scoresheet and get 45 minutes.
“I just took a touch in the box and thought I might as well have a crack, so it was nice to see it float in the far corner.
“It was the first time I had played 45 minutes for the first-team in about 16 to 17 months. It’s been three years since I’ve had a full pre-season, so I just want to get through each day with the medical staff and make sure I feel all right.
“The gaffer told me to take my time because I don’t want to rush anything. I need to get my fitness right and be ready for the start of the season, that’s the most important thing.”

LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK*

Mackail-Smith was one of eleven changes Sami Hyypia made at the start of the second-half, with a number of under-21 players being given the chance to impress.The forward is also looking forward to travelling to Spain, with two further pre-season friendlies to come against Partick Thistle next weekend, and Real Betis the following Thursday.
“I am feeling a bit old! Bruno and me were the two oldest players on the pitch at the time, but it’s great for the club that we’ve got such talented young players coming through and hopefully they’ll work their way into the team and do big things for the club.
*“We’re all working really hard and it’s a good time for the players to bond together. We’ve got two tough games coming up against Betis and Partick Thistle, so that will be another test for the boys.
“I think we’ll cope with that well and come back feeling fit ahead of the new season.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports