Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Need your sensible support for a club and it isn't Leeds United

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
The only thing I don't understand is your involvement and use of the word 'need' :shrug:
Involvement, just a friend who supports Salisbury. Need, he didn't ask for any, just as an obviously strange concept from a supporter whose team suffered a similar fate, maybe we could help. Actually obtuse, if only I'd used that earlier.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
So if you have the time please answer the post for the definitely Wiltshire city of Salisbury.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Yes but if this Salisbury is another Pompey type scenario,then it is completely different..
I am so sorry, but that is the best of the replies so far, as in not the most pejorative, but I have to ask, if any team has problems with an owner, then we were Portsmouth, Leeds and now Salisbury. Why is a simple show of support so difficult for a club we will hopefully never play?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
While I obviously feel sorry for the fans, I do applaud the Conference on their conduct. It's the latest in a recent line of uncompromising sanctions of football clubs that have failed to meet the required standard of financial conduct. The collateral damage will be awful for many clubs, and terminal for many of them, but will eventually lead to non-league clubs all being run sensibly. Owners will not all be beneficent fans- but those owners who do choose to gamble money on promotion will know there is a heavy price for not having a back-up plan.
We have yet to see if the upper leagues diluted FFP regulations will be enforced with such vigour or effect.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
While I obviously feel sorry for the fans, I do applaud the Conference on their conduct. It's the latest in a recent line of uncompromising sanctions of football clubs that have failed to meet the required standard of financial conduct. The collateral damage will be awful for many clubs, and terminal for many of them, but will eventually lead to non-league clubs all being run sensibly. Owners will not all be beneficent fans- but those owners who do choose to gamble money on promotion will know there is a heavy price for not having a back-up plan.
We have yet to see if the upper leagues diluted FFP regulations will be enforced with such vigour or effect.
Wonderfully written with thought and content. But this a Brighton website and when a single line changed by an owner that we surely remember his name, changed our club and all it's assets into a place we took years to come back from. It was a very simple request to people who understand how those years felt. So as it seems we are OK financially, and quoting FFP regulations on a probably correct basis we are. But are we not forgetting what a football team is? Was the YT video something to ignore, because now we're OK? We came back from the brink to be where are now, why nobody can just say good luck to a team like Salisbury City is poor.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think perhaps all people are asking is this: whether Salisbury have just been unfortunate, or whether they've been gambling (a la Pompey) with money they never had in the hope of beating more prudent clubs (unfairly) to reach the promised land? It's a simple enough question and, I believe, a fair one.

I too admire the stance the Conference take with clubs that fail to comply with their regulations: I only wish the Premier and Football Leagues had as much determination.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wonderfully written with thought and content. But this a Brighton website and when a single line changed by an owner that we surely remember his name, changed our club and all it's assets into a place we took years to come back from. It was a very simple request to people who understand how those years felt. So as it seems we are OK financially, and quoting FFP regulations on a probably correct basis we are. But are we not forgetting what a football team is? Was the YT video something to ignore, because now we're OK? We came back from the brink to be where are now, why nobody can just say good luck to a team like Salisbury City is poor.

It's nothing to do with "we're OK now" and everything to do with why Salisbury City are in the mess they are in. Is it because of a dodgy owner ( like we had ) or just because they've gambled financially to try and get success ? If it's the former then they will get the support of any decent fan, if it's the later then ..... well ...... tough.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I do regular site visits to Salisbury. It has the world's rudest cab drivers including one who told me he keeps getting "these bloody Asians going on short journeys and then paying me with a £20 note just for sport". The only football fans there seem to be Premier League plastics.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
I've read a couple of things about this owner. He bought the club for literally pennies, rocked up in his sports car, sacked the board, employed his entourage, has put no money into the club and is trying to sell just over half his share fpr £100,000.

It's also rumoured he contacted Palace to request talks to buy the club.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I am so sorry, but that is the best of the replies so far, as in not the most pejorative, but I have to ask, if any team has problems with an owner, then we were Portsmouth, Leeds and now Salisbury. Why is a simple show of support so difficult for a club we will hopefully never play?

We were like Leeds and Portsmouth? There's no real comparison; Leeds and Pompey fans were all happy with the big wages and unsustainable debt why? Because their fans genuinely believed they had a God given right to be in the premier league and saw it as justified until they realised that wasn't the case. The situation with Brighton was a lot different to that of Portsmouth.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The owner of Salisbury does sound a right cock. I wish Salisbury fans the best of luck in wresting control of the club from him. Seems he is trying to get out with £100k, the Conferences sanctions have however reduced the value of the club to zero (probably substantially less) - incredibly harsh on the fans but a message to other owners and boards. The Wimbledon route of reforming the club at the bottom of the pyramid with fans as shareholders seems the only way forward and something I would certainly pledge my support to.
There is an issue with all insolvent clubs that the ground/land becomes the only asset. It would be nice to see legislation that automatically entitled a local team (i.e. the newly formed AFC Whatever) to bid for the now unused ground of a defunct football club with an arbitration panel to help set a fair price and a directive that continued use as a football stadium should always be a priority.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks but it has been a bit difficult to share news. http://salisburycity-fc.co.uk/ So in the meantime, the fans are going nuts....https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=906065816074113&set=vb.213574451989923&type=2&theater

OK, constructive suggestion: maybe worth pointing them in the direction of Supporters Direct who will be able to give practical support and advice on fans gaining ownership of the club. Worked for Lewes - check out Rooks Supporters Trust (Lewes FC) on this link:

http://www.supporters-direct.org/homepage/what-we-do/links/supporters-trusts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here