Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazil vs Brasil

How do you spell the name of the five time world cup winners?

• Z for me: BraZil

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • I'm an S (wo)man: BraSil

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've noticed a growing trend to spell Brazil as Brasil. When did this happen and why?

And more importantly, how do you spell it-with an s or a z? It's Brazil for me.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I believe Brazil spell it with the s, can see why others are now spelling it with the s.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
* Brazil comes from an Amerindian word Brasil, which is a dark type of rosewood common in the country. It was once the largest export, but is now banned.

(not that anyone was asking)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Brasil is i think the historic spelling and i am happy with either.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We spell it BraZil and they spell it BraSil.

No different really to
Germany/Deutschland
Italy/Italia
Croatia/Hrvatska

And so on

its not quite the same at all is it. say "Brazil" or "Brasil", the difference is marginal. Germany and Deutschland has bit more.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
its not quite the same at all is it. say "Brazil" or "Brasil", the difference is marginal. Germany and Deutschland has bit more.

Like you say Tomato and i say Tom may toe :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's like when Ginola played for spurs. Every other David previously in the history of the game had been called David by MOTD team. Ginola was given the ultimate honour of being called Dahveed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Never really thought about it but why don't we call each country by its correct name

because we dont pronounce words and sounds the same as other languages, sometimes dont even have the sound in our normal range of speach. they get corrupted over distance and time then fixed in writing. some are oddities of relations or history like germany or holland. the oddest is Dutch, a corruption of Deutsch, when they arent part of Deutschland, but then we call those from Deutschland German from the latin for that people.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Never really thought about it but why don't we call each country by its correct name

Correct for where though? Brazilians use Brasil i think

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
what about other countries.

Holland / Netherlands.. but the people are Dutch??

Holland is part of the Netherlands.

From wikipedia...

Historically, the English did not distinguish inhabitants of the Low Countries by 'nationality'. In the 15th and the first half of the 16th century, all persons from Germanic lands were called Flemings, Theotonici, Doch, or sometimes Germani. In the second half of the 16th century, all Germanic speakers or inhabitants of the Holy Roman Empire were called Dutch or Douch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here