Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brazil 2014 - Best World Cup since...?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, what do you reckon? My first World Cup was USA '94, and if the standard/excitement level continues to the end, I think I could safely say it's been the best WC in my lifetime.

AmexGold

Banned
Apr 22, 2014
1986 was good, with England doing OK (eventually) and Maradona playing out of his skin. 2006 seemed to have lots of drama. This might well be the best since I started watching WCs (1974).

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Easily the best since 1986.

Just need a couple of classics before the end to make it the best World Cup of my lifetime (first one watched 1978).

PS - Ignore the opinion of anyone who nominates 1990...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think this WC has been all the better for England being knocked out earlydoors. Means we can all appreciate the football on its own merits without any of the b*llshit English baggage.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
!966 (of course), 1970 and 1982 were the best IMO so I can go back a bit further than some on here. 1982 was great because we were in Italy at the time.

But I must say that this World Cup has been very, very good and I've seen some cracking games. So it comes 4th at the moment for me but there's still a way to go in this tournament.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My first was Italia '90.

I'd say that just shades it but only really because of England going deep in the tournament and the general sense of immersion and wonder that hits a 10 year old watching their first world cup. The Cameroon story was quite nice as well (until we cruelly ended it!)

This one has been amazing so far.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Vies with 1970.

This one lacks the glut of really star performers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My first was Italia '90.

I'd say that just shades it but only really because of England going deep in the tournament and the general sense of immersion and wonder that hits a 10 year old watching their first world cup. The Cameroon story was quite nice as well (until we cruelly ended it!)

This one has been amazing so far.

Aside from England, Italia 90 was bang average. It was so utterly crap that FIFA consequently introduced the keeper/backpass rule.

This one has been superb - only some dubious refereeing in the opening few games go against it. Apart from that, I can't think of any real issues, whereas 1982 had the shameful Algeria farce, 1986 had the hand of God and Uruguay using time wasting against Scotland to comical effect, and 1990 was full of tediocre low scoring draws. More recently, 2010 was a massive disappointment after a great 2006 tournament.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Certyainly the best WC since the 32 team format, many said it would dilute the quality and up untuil now that has probably proved right but this one has been the exception to the rule and FIFA desperately needed a WC as good as this.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I really enjoyed France '98 (though that may have something to do with it being the first one I really got into), England were actually considered a force, some legendary players were there (Ronaldo, Henry, Figo, Zidane, Del Piero...) and it was just...awesome.

I now eagerly await someone to tell me I'm wrong, as is tradition!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I don't think that I've ever enjoyed a World Cup more. I started watching in 1970, I was 8, and have always loved the World Cup. 1990 was brilliant as an England fan, but shit in every other way. This one, with only one or two games as exceptions, has been consistently brilliant. As someone who 'struggles' with modern football, this tournament has been a revelation. I am just sad that it will soon be over.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The first that I properly remember was Argentina '78. It was truly fantastic and all the ticker tape helped.

Then of course Italia '90, brilliant.

I reckon this one is well up there in second place, just behind Italia '90 for me personally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here