Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Herr Tubthumper's offizielle Deutschland gegen Frankreich Gewinde ***

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Morgan.

So, the quarter finals and time for The Fatherland to step up a gear. This should be good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Morgan.

So, the quarter finals and time for The Fatherland to step up a gear. This should be good.

3 to 4 gears needed. If they go from 1st to 2nd they will be battered. If they continue to play such a suicidally high line of defence they will be battered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
3 to 4 gears needed. If they go from 1st to 2nd they will be battered. If they continue to play such a suicidally high line of defence they will be battered.

Battered? They'll just be "unlucky" :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it unlucky that 7 of them have been struck down with flu?

This is not good. And it is difficult to get accurate news about how serious the issue is as the German camp are keeping reasonably quiet about it. We will see.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gonna be a cracking game whatever happens. And Brazil v Colombia. Tonight's games are the bigguns I reckon, not so fussed about tomorrow's.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gonna be a cracking game whatever happens. And Brazil v Colombia. Tonight's games are the bigguns I reckon, not so fussed about tomorrow's.

This. A great evening ahead.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Can I this this too?
There's a good chance that what I'm about to say will be proved wrong, but:
Think Holland and Argentina are clear favourites in tomorrow's ties, as to who's going to win tonight, I have no idea at all. I haven't fancied Brazil throughout, and think Colombia have been the best team in the competition, but I thought Chile might just pip Brazil, and they just missed out, so I may well be under-estimating Brazil (but James against a Brazil without Luis Gustavo...). France have really stepped up to the plate too, and they're a real team well organised by Deschamps, but I'm not that convinced by their defence. Germany's defence is a tad suspect too, but both defences have brilliant sweeping goalkeepers behind them. And then there's this mystery flu virus.
It'll be a joy to watch today's games unfold.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not been convinced by Germany. after demolition of Portugal they have stepped back it seems.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not been convinced by Germany. after demolition of Portugal they have stepped back it seems.

It's a big ask tonight, they have to overcome France and man-flu.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Media in Germany seem to have their knives out for Löw already - sticking with Lahm in midfield seems to be his greatest "crime".

I can't wait for both matches, both really difficult to call.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't wait for both matches, both really difficult to call.

Agree. It's difficult to make a solid case for any team to progress tonight. Either game could go anyway. Really up for this. Off to the beer garden for the first game and then my sofa and some choice craft beers for the Brazil game.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
To the day, it's the 60th anniversary of the Miracle of Bern too: West Germany winning the World Cup without even having a national league established and just nine years after the war ended. No pressure, jungs.

Too Klose to call: I hope we can't play as badly again as vs Algeria.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
SO exciting. I can't wait.

All 4 games are mouth watering for different reasons; but Brazil v Colombia has all the ingredients for a CLASSIC.

Already the best World Cup ever - all that's required is a few more great games from the last 8 matches.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
France have gone for flair over strength - Griezmann starts in place of Giroud.

Löw has made a few changes: no Mertesacker, Lahm (finally) at right-back, Hummels back in. I guess they're concerned about the speed of France's wide players.

I can't wait. Allez les Bleus!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The game just hasn't taken off, has it? I thought that this would be brilliant.

It can't help that the atmosphere is so bad - Germany v France should be electric, but a mainly Brazilian crowd are behaving like they are on Copa Cobana beach rather than at the football.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
God, if I were French I'd be so pissed off. They've never really looked like scoring, and Germany have not been great.

Dull, dull game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here