Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greens at it again

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Big tax rise on the way for Brighton and Hove
I love Brighton but I am glad I don't live in Brighton and Hove could not afford it!
Mid sussex district council held council taxes for four years on the trot .

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
I love Brighton but I am glad I don't live in Brighton and Hove could not afford it!

Congratulations on winning misleading post of the day.

The ACTUAL story is that the Green Party leaders have proposed that council tax needs to increase by 5.9% next year to cover a £25m shortfall.

Seeing as they were unable to increase it by 4.75% this year - after opposition councillors rejected the increase (it was eventually increased by 1.99%) - then it's very unlikely to happen.

And also bravo, well done, good job etc to MSDC.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You have provided no details for your erroneous claim, and you don't really seem to understand local council finances either.
And as you're in the vanguard in the good fight against taxation, please reveal to us the posts you made when the largest tax hike for a long time took place. I'm referring to the increase of VAT to 20%.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Congratulations on winning misleading post of the day.

The ACTUAL story is that the Green Party leaders have proposed that council tax needs to increase by 5.9% next year to cover a £25m shortfall.

Seeing as they were unable to increase it by 4.75% this year - after opposition councillors rejected the increase (it was eventually increased by 1.99%) - then it's very unlikely to happen.

And also bravo, well done, good job etc to MSDC.
after visiting Brighton last Sunday paying £6 for two hours would have been worst if I had not park in waitrose for a bit of free parking. 80p first hour £1.20 for two hours in Mid Sussex and we complain about that. So I thought they made the tax up by screwing the car users.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
after visiting Brighton last Sunday paying £6 for two hours would have been worst if I had not park in waitrose for a bit of free parking. 80p first hour £1.20 for two hours in Mid Sussex and we complain about that. So I thought they made the tax up by screwing the car users.

Come again?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
* I believe the only way out of the mess is to increase taxes generally, not just one pokey council, but the whole country. When I left school income tax was over 30p in the pound, what is it now? £20p, or less? It's no wonder they have to try and collect it by other means. Councils and Governments treat us like children, they show us lower taxes and we go all giggly and vote for them. They don't have to worry, the ones in Westminster bribing us for their votes every 5 years, they are all wealthy, and no probably using tax avoidance schemes too, it's those down the chain who have to pick up the pieces and try and run the place, with not enough money. Blame the tax cutters, the tax dosger and the tax evaders, and the Prius drivers, and those who give up smoking, it's all their faults.

*my tongue might be in my cheek at some of these comments, please don't take it all seriously.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
20% income tax, if only. You are overlooking national insurance which is effectively income tax anyway. Lots of peoe are also caught in the 40% bracket.

I blame the pensioners we need to remove the free bus pass and get them paying their way.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
You have provided no details for your erroneous claim, and you don't really seem to understand local council finances either.
And as you're in the vanguard in the good fight against taxation, please reveal to us the posts you made when the largest tax hike for a long time took place. I'm referring to the increase of VAT to 20%.

Thanks to someone spending all the money and dropping Vat to 15% in the past which is now 20% is hurting the hospitality industry in Brighton and Hove I hope it comes down soon. I just trying to quote facts!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It is a publicity stunt, probably to prime us for a 3% rise in reality, no chance for the green communists, toxxers!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Any proposed increase above 1.99% needs a referendum so why waste money asking the question they already know the answer to ?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Oh, thought this was a thread about Plymouth needing help again. Move on.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
How much could they have saved by not putting up 20mph sign posts on every street corner and putting cycle lanes in which the cyclists do not use because they either stay on the pavement or use the road next to it ... ludicrous

What's so good about living in Mid Sussex? Depending on where in the district you live, council tax in Mid Sussex for a band D house is anything up to £1,556.96 a year. In Brighton & Hove, it's only £1,537.15.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How much could they have saved by not putting up 20mph sign posts on every street corner and putting cycle lanes in which the cyclists do not use because they either stay on the pavement or use the road next to it ... ludicrous

I don't know. Maybe people will take notice of the speed limits and not turn the whole place into a rat race.

The city is car-centric. The air is not clean. The city would be a much nicer place without so many cars.

However, they need to build on park and ride and not rely on the trains and buses, as they are ludicrously expensive. Brighton Buses might deliver a great service, but they are ridiculously expensive.

Brighton is a 24 hour city, yet the expensive trains cease before the night is young.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I don't know. Maybe people will take notice of the speed limits and not turn the whole place into a rat race.

The city is car-centric. The air is not clean. The city would be a much nicer place without so many cars.

However, they need to build on park and ride and not rely on the trains and buses, as they are ludicrously expensive. Brighton Buses might deliver a great service, but they are ridiculously expensive.

Brighton is a 24 hour city, yet the expensive trains cease before the night is young.

Not sure the masses will stick to 20mph will have to wait an see .... P&R has been needed for years but always believed either Braypool or Waterhall as the best site to stop the never ending traffic jam into Brighton. Whatever people will not stop using their cars. My son has just come back from Egypt and visited Cairo where there are 5m cars on the road daily ....madness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here