Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What UEFA category is the AMEX?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd be interested to know whether there is ever a situation where it matters whether the Amex is category 2 or 3.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'd be interested to know whether there is ever a situation where it matters whether the Amex is category 2 or 3.

It was mentioned on the yiddo's thread as a reason why they might prefer the AMEX to MK Mongs' ground.
Is that OK with you Simster?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Is it not category 4, r at least easily convertible to? According to the wiki link:

"A stadium must be category four to host games in the playoffs of the qualifying stage for the UEFA Champions League or any game in the main competition.[2] Category four is also required to host any game in the main competition of the UEFA Europa League[3] or the UEFA European Football Championship"

Wigan and Birmingham have both played Europa league football whilst in the championship. Surely our stadium is of a similar quality if not better than theirs? Also, if you need to be category 4 to host europa league or champions league matches then there has to be more than 4 stadiums that are category 4? Or have I completely misunderstood the category 4 requirements?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Is it not category 4, r at least easily convertible to? According to the wiki link:

"A stadium must be category four to host games in the playoffs of the qualifying stage for the UEFA Champions League or any game in the main competition.[2] Category four is also required to host any game in the main competition of the UEFA Europa League[3] or the UEFA European Football Championship"

Wigan and Birmingham have both played Europa league football whilst in the championship. Surely our stadium is of a similar quality if not better than theirs? Also, if you need to be category 4 to host europa league or champions league matches then there has to be more than 4 stadiums that are category 4? Or have I completely misunderstood the category 4 requirements?

It is a bit confusing - I thought you had to be elite host ECL or EL final :shrug:
None of the British grounds will host European football next season unless they are awarded the final.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Also, if you need to be category 4 to host europa league or champions league matches then there has to be more than 4 stadiums that are category 4?

There's hundreds if not thousands across Europe so yes, there's more than 4...

I suspect Cat 4 could be obtained if there was any requirement to do so.

Cat 2 is allowed for early round Europa matches, Cat 3 a bit later on and Cat 4 for group onwards. This means that the South Dublin County Council Municipal Stadium managed - somehow - to be classed as Cat 4 as it held a full set of group games a few years ago. An actual Cat 4 / old 4 Star stadium that even hosted the Europa final was actually available so it wasn't an exemption.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Surely the category only matters if a club plans to host a game they are not playing in ? Otherwise, if a team qualifies for a competition then there is no category requirement as that is their home stadium ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Surely the category only matters if a club plans to host a game they are not playing in ? Otherwise, if a team qualifies for a competition then there is no category requirement as that is their home stadium ?

No, if you qualify/progress and your stadium doesn't meet the category requirements you have to move your game unless there is no suitable category stadium in your entire federation.
[MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] 's third team (St. Patricks Athletic) have to move their games pretty much every time they progress from their Cat 2 stadium that rather resembles Withdean to the Cat 4 Tallaght Stadium or the Cat 4 RDS Arena (which rather resembles a much larger Withdean!)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No, if you qualify/progress and your stadium doesn't meet the category requirements you have to move your game unless there is no suitable category stadium in your entire federation.

@Frutos 's third team (St. Patricks Athletic) have to move their games pretty much every time they progress from their Cat 2 stadium that rather resembles Withdean to the Cat 4 Tallaght Stadium or the Cat 4 RDS Arena (which rather resembles a much larger Withdean!)

What a bizarre rule but I guess nothing should surprise me when it comes to football authorities !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here