Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for the IT contractors on here ....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, its being arsed to do the paperwork for that and the annual form/fee that's the issue.

It's not that big a deal though IMHO. I took a PAYE job for a few years and my company was dormant for a while.

And good luck with the new job Westdene.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Set up as a sole trader or doesn't it work like that for contract work.

My understanding from the agency I spoke to ( and I'm no expert ! ) is that if a company is paying you as in this case you have to be Ltd or at least an umbrella ( which is a little like being a ltd ) otherwise it's illegal.

Regardless, I've now spoken to Crunch and for £60 I can have my very own Ltd company in four hours - now all I need to do is get the contract !

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My understanding from the agency I spoke to ( and I'm no expert ! ) is that if a company is paying you as in this case you have to be Ltd or at least an umbrella ( which is a little like being a ltd ) otherwise it's illegal.

Regardless, I've now spoken to Crunch and for £60 I can have my very own Ltd company in four hours - now all I need to do is get the contract !
As your new to contracting a word of warning: assume all IT agencies are staffed by incompetent ********s and then you'll be pleasantly surprised when some aren't. I've got two I deal with who are really good and actually understand the technical side and that A follows B. Also they return calls and emails. The majority don't.

DISCLAIMER: I don't want to start a binfest. I can see Commander (one of NSC's very best posters) has a recruitment 'sticky' and I'm sure him and all other recruitment consultants on NSC are absolutely brilliant (they perhaps don't work in IT), but the IT industry seems to attract people who don't actually understand the basics of the jobs they're filling.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He's very lucky to have got that much - the rates I'm looking at average £400 a day ( still decent though ! ). Also remember there are extra risks as a contractor - no paid holiday, no employers pension contribution etc.

I was getting 500 a day in 1991/2 doing MRP/ERP implementations. 800 a day should be easily achievable with the right skillset. I set up a limited company.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What were you doin to earn £800 a day may I ask?

I have always been a permie I do alright so I have never considered contracting but for that kind of wedge I would have to seriously think about it :D

I have 25 years experience of writing software in the city. That contract was for a Danish bank, yearly contracts. They offered me a role to work in Copenhagen fir £1k per day but I turned it down. I'll be looking again shortly, probably contract again, and my source say that £750 is the average at the mo, but we'll see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I have 25 years experience of writing software in the city. That contract was for a Danish bank, yearly contracts. They offered me a role to work in Copenhagen fir £1k per day but I turned it down. I'll be looking again shortly, probably contract again, and my source say that £750 is the average at the mo, but we'll see.

A grand a day sounds outrageous. But between 700-1000 is about the going rate for IT resources as far as I know (within the "developed" world anyway)

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
As your new to contracting a word of warning: assume all IT agencies are staffed by incompetent ********s and then you'll be pleasantly surprised when some aren't.

This, absolutely this. I contracted until a few years ago - both in London and Brighton - and agency staff were by far the biggest obstacle. I went the umbrella route (I used JSA) and never had any problems. Then again, "It's a 3-month contract, no point in going LTD" turned into 6 months.. then another contract.. then another.. and all of a sudden you've been contracting for five years. :D

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A grand a day sounds outrageous. But between 700-1000 is about the going rate for IT resources as far as I know (within the "developed" world anyway)

It was tempting and a few years ago I would have done it, but I didn't want to leave my cats.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Get a limited company and a good accountant - it will save you a lot in the end. I used an umbrella company at first, but they were pretty incompetent. I ended up paying both personal NI and company NI.

It's pretty easy to sort out your own accounts. I would also recommend being VAT registered and going on a flat rate scheme. Be aware of IR35 - agents will write contracts accordingly but there are ways to help yourself if you come under investigation such as using your own equipment for the client.

Good luck with the contract, you'll probably never want a permanent job again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here