Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please Sign Our Petition

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
St Leonard's Church in New Church Road, Hove, is in serious danger of closing. Now I know churches and religion in general is not everyone's cup of tea, and many of you will not want to sign the petition because of this. I respect that. However, we are also looking at ways of using the building for the community, but this will not happen if it is closed.

From a personal point of view, I was christened and confirmed there, attended as a cub, scout and sea cadet, was married there and had our daughter christened there. I also attend regularly.

If you could spare a few moments to sign the petition, and even better add any comments, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

As I've not done a link before, I'm not sure if this will work. If it doesn't, go to www.change.org and search for 'saving st leonard's'. Please remember the apostrophe!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I worked on this church many years ago
signed and good luck

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I assume its closing down due to lack of funds thus putting an big strain on the diocese's finances, if this is the case then surely a big fund raising effort should start or the parishioners need to put their hands in their pockets to keep it going rather than an online petition.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I assume its closing down due to lack of funds thus putting an big strain on the diocese's finances, if this is the case then surely a big fund raising effort should start or the parishioners need to put their hands in their pockets to keep it going rather than an online petition.

The online petition is only one part of a multi-faceted campaign. Yes finances do come into it, which is why we are looking into ways of using the church in the community as well to make it financially viable.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The online petition is only one part of a multi-faceted campaign. Yes finances do come into it, which is why we are looking into ways of using the church in the community as well to make it financially viable.

I am not religious, but I do see churches as community venues for local events from jumble sales, exhibitions, popup markets for arts and crafts, group meetings and live musical performances. They just have to reach outside the religious context and they would be valued more. Maybe they should work closer together to market and expand their purpose.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes finances do come into it, which is why we are looking into ways of using the church in the community as well to make it financially viable.
This must be a worry for nearly all churches across the land, I'm surprised those involved didn't look at ways to make it financially viable many years ago. Any idea what the ongoing maintenance costs are for your church, and how the money might be raised?

Does the central Church of England not care if churches close?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
This must be a worry for nearly all churches across the land, I'm surprised those involved didn't look at ways to make it financially viable many years ago. Any idea what the ongoing maintenance costs are for your church, and how the money might be raised?

The ongoing maintenance figure is debatable, simply because virtually all buildings over a certain age need some kind of work doing on them. There was a church on this site in Saxon times, and it gets a mention in the Domesday Book. The old church was rebuilt in 1880 (the part you can see from New Church Road), and the new church was built in 1930.

We are hoping to get it used more in the community so that any rental or other income could fund the upkeep. I think the C of E does care about keeping churches open, but wants to see that communities are doing what they can as well - hence the petition and work that we are doing towards using it more in the community.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
virtually all buildings over a certain age need some kind of work doing on them.
They sure do.
I think the C of E does care about keeping churches open, but wants to see that communities are doing what they can as well
Makes sense.

Oct 25, 2003
my (c of e) church originally closed for about 5 years mainly because it's a massive building with huge operating costs and had a congregation of about 20 people meaning there was hardly anything coming in. Since re-opening 4 and a half years ago it's become a church that is attended by around 1000 people a week, is used every day of the week for a variety of community projects (the main one being homelessness...one example being it runs the only night shelter project in Brighton every winter) and this November will open it's second satellite church in Hastings. So it can be done with the right leadership and the drive to be more than a place where people go for a couple of hours on a sunday.

Petition has been signed

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

I'm sure the CoE does care, however, it's a case of managing the budget. If the congregation is too small then possibly, it's not financially viable. According to CoE annual reports though, attendances have grown but this only puts greater emphasis on increased budgets.

Here in Lincoln, the Cathedral (Politics people will know of its great historical and constitutional importance to this country) has to raise £1.2 million alone each year. It's a mammoth task.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Here in Lincoln, the Cathedral (Politics people will know of its great historical and constitutional importance to this country) has to raise £1.2 million alone each year.
£1.2million! Holy schmoly.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Done, and good luck :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here