Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wow! That Tim Howard did some job.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Incredible display from the whole USA team. Really put England to shame. Showed what the will to win is all about.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Great game to watch.

I think any England manager (or club manager for that matter) should play the video from the game and say "THIS is the sort of commitment I want from you, every game".

"There will be better players, better teams, better countries than England (and/or your club), but if you have the attitude that the US team had, you always have a chance".

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He's a good showman, the game was fixed just like the majority of the others

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if you have the attitude that the US team had, you always have a chance
The USA's effort yesterday should be applauded, but let's not lose sight of how one sided the game was for much of it. Howard broke the record for the number of saves in a World Cup match, and had he not have been on form / had Belgium had their shooting boots on, USA would have been down and out much earlier.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
The USA's effort yesterday should be applauded, but let's not lose sight of how one sided the game was for much of it. Howard broke the record for the number of saves in a World Cup match, and had he not have been on form / had Belgium had their shooting boots on, USA would have been down and out much earlier.

That's the whole point, the oppo are a better team and should have won, however the US came close (to getting to penalties at least) down to the attitude they had. I am of the opinion that if the US team had the English attitude last night, they would have lost by 3/4.

That's the whole point, the oppo are a better team and should have won, however the US came close (to getting to penalties at least) down to the attitude they had. I am of the opinion that if the US team had Joe Hart last night, they would have lost by 3/4.

Edited for you.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
:D

Ironically, Joe Hart is one of the few that does appear to show some passion for England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's the whole point, the oppo are a better team and should have won, however the US came close (to getting to penalties at least) down to the attitude they had.
It wasn't just their attitude though, they also needed a shed load of saves. I agree they'd have lost by loads if they had the attitude of other teams (and I wouldn't pick on England, our players made as much effort as most), but as Hillian says, they'd also have lost by loads without Tim Howard (and again, I wouldn't pick on Joe Hart :) ).

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I realise this opinion will go down like a cup of cold sick but I have a slight issue with the whole "That's the sort of effort you SHOULD be putting in" stance.

Firstly, who are the kind of teams we always say "wow. That effort has to be commended. Fought to the end"? it's always the "plucky" underdogs....who ultimately lost.

In short, It's teams who are under the kosh against better teams in their respective matches. If they didnt run like mentalists then they would be turned over 3,4, 5 nil.

Of course it is EXTREMELY commendable and not for one moment am i taking away from the excellent performances. But they were ultimately defensive performances (algeria were long ball counter-attacking which worked a treat). Working hard is a necessity in these situations.

For all the mockery, the truth is we have better players than this standard of team. We did ultimately try (but failed) to have possession and outplay teams. That method of play does not highlight the "pluckyness" of an underdog.

Sadly we are in a bit of a middle ground. We don't have the top top players so our lack of technique shows up when we try and play but, ultimately, we are not such a poor group that we need to set out to defend for our lives. When we defended against Italy in the Euros and ran around non stop for the whole match, taking it to pens, did people commend our effort? Nope. They were disgusted that we barely threatened Buffon.

Again, I've probably written this badly and will be jumped upon. I know what I mean in my own head!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
:D

Ironically, Joe Hart is one of the few that does appear to show some passion for England.

Yes, he always looks well pissed off when he picks the ball out of the net.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I realise this opinion will go down like a cup of cold sick but I have a slight issue with the whole "That's the sort of effort you SHOULD be putting in" stance.

Firstly, who are the kind of teams we always say "wow. That effort has to be commended. Fought to the end"? it's always the "plucky" underdogs....who ultimately lost.

In short, It's teams who are under the kosh against better teams in their respective matches. If they didnt run like mentalists then they would be turned over 3,4, 5 nil.

Of course it is EXTREMELY commendable and not for one moment am i taking away from the excellent performances. But they were ultimately defensive performances (algeria were long ball counter-attacking which worked a treat). Working hard is a necessity in these situations.

For all the mockery, the truth is we have better players than this standard of team. We did ultimately try (but failed) to have possession and outplay teams. That method of play does not highlight the "pluckyness" of an underdog.

Sadly we are in a bit of a middle ground. We don't have the top top players so our lack of technique shows up when we try and play but, ultimately, we are not such a poor group that we need to set out to defend for our lives. When we defended against Italy in the Euros and ran around non stop for the whole match, taking it to pens, did people commend our effort? Nope. They were disgusted that we barely threatened Buffon.

Again, I've probably written this badly and will be jumped upon. I know what I mean in my own head!

This is exactly where my mind is. There are a number of posts I have read (mainly on Twitter) along the lines of 'we could learn a lot from the USA's performance'. Really? Haven't we done the plucky underdog thing to death?

Personally, I'd rather we played like a complete shower but won 1-0 like the Argies yesterday. It's a bit like the Albion. Gary Hart, Richard Carpenter and Charlie Oatway's showed more passion than the current lot (calderon excepted) but I know who I would rather watch given the choice.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I stand corrected then.
Oh...hang on...

So you're saying the USA and Belgium contrived that 0-0 draw over the 90 ? Everyone missed on purpose ?

Yep, same as Germany, Argentina, Costa Rica, Brazil games - there's some underground Asian betting going on making bookies a ridiculous amount of money

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
One of the reasons Spain went out so early also made huge amounts of wonga

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
One of the reasons Spain went out so early also made huge amounts of wonga

Tripe. What are you suggesting that Casillas had a mare in goal because his multi million pound salary from Real Madrid wasn't enough and he has taking a bag of cash from?

I'm not naive enough to believe fixing doesn't go on (I even follow the money on cricket sometimes) but you are only likely to see that in a dead rubber group game or one of the African teams where this is more prevalent. To suggest some of the most highly paid people on the planet are fixing games in the last 16 of the competition doesn't wash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here