Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is 24 the new 27?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is this idea that players reach their peak at 27-28 but this world cup has shown some crazily talented players around the age of 22-24. I dread to think where these players will be if their upward trajectory continues for another 4 years or so. Have they reached their peak or is there still some way to go?

And players seem to start their careers a lot earlier these days so maybe the peak age is lower? It might explain why a number of English player level off after their mid-20s and seem shot to pieces by the time they're in the late 20s?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Who do you have in mind?
James Rodriguez and Thomas Muller are the two that spring to mind, oh and Neymar too. Perhaps Hazard and De Bruyne for Belgium. Gotze hasn't quite done it for Germany.
On the 27 front, there's Messi and Benzema.

These are some of the more obvious names of the teams remaining in the competition.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Zico's team of the World Cup (so far):
Ochoa (Mex, 28)
Isla (Ch, 26)-Yepes (Col, 38)-Luiz (Br, 27)
Ruiz-Gustavo (Br, 26)-Blind (Hol, 24)
Rodriguez (Col, 22)
Robben (Hol, 30)-Neymar (Br, 22)-Messi (Arg, 27)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not so sure, Robben has been fantastic this tournament and has already hit the dreaded 30, with the two best players on the planet both being closer to, or over, the 27 mark.

There are some incredibly talented youngsters around at the minute but I find it hard to believe that Neymar and Rodriguez (to pick two) are anywhere near peaking just yet.

Many years of them tormenting defences to come I suspect!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are physically better at 27 and more experienced.

Physically better? This is/was not the case for Wayne Rooney and Micheal Owen.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Better players peak earlier. The WC pool might not be the best data to work with if you want to generalize....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here