Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
With the World Cup being the best for years and a general feeling that the expansive attacking football is a breath of fresh air. I started thinking, well the greatest of all time, how would he had faired in this World Cup? 'Well who is the greatest in your opinion?' I hear you say... Or think.
It's can only be one. However much as an 11year old I hated him, however much he lied and cheated, he surely was the greatest. I started watching you tube clips of him to remind me of what I saw as a kid and it is astonishing that in an age of very poor pitches, poor equipment, poor diet compared to today. Also as you can see some awful refs offering poor protection, that this man was able to do this.
Messi, Ronaldo, Bale etc.......could they do or be as good as he was? My opinion is no. Also as much as we like to hate him because of the 'hand of god', it's amazing in these clips how many times he gets hacked but doesn't dive like a modern footballer, but keeps going.
Have a look, see what you think. I'm especially interested in the youngsters point of view as they perhaps never witnessed his skill. Some of the clips are poor quality, but can you deny he was the most skillfull ever to play the game.
Btw I am not Argentinian. I'm English/Swiss so I should hate him more than most, yet his sheer skill prevents that.

MARADONA

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just to add, it's a shame that when he was in his pomp at Napoli that English clubs were banned from Europe and wen never got to see Maradona play on these shores in a competitive European match. Can you imagine a champions league match these days with maradona in the opposing team? Would have been amazing.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Just to add, it's a shame that when he was in his pomp at Napoli that English clubs were banned from Europe and wen never got to see Maradona play on these shores in a competitive European match. Can you imagine a champions league match these days with maradona in the opposing team? Would have been amazing.

1984 Cup Winners Cup QF. Manchester United V Barcelona. United turn round a two goal first leg deficit to win 3-2. Robson plays Maradona off the park.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I know a lot of these are repeat tricks but some are truly awesome. You get fellas that can balance footballs and stuff and play trick but they aren't good players. This guy was as top class as it's possible to get.
Can you imagine pele doing this stuff, can you fu......

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Although I do agree a incredible player especially what he achieved at Napoli. After reading his autobiography in which he basically says he told the coach which players to buy at Napoli. Also, interesting to find out Gianfranco Zola used to clean his boots whilst learning a trick or two from him.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
1984 Cup Winners Cup QF. Manchester United V Barcelona. United turn round a two goal first leg deficit to win 3-2. Robson plays Maradona off the park.
Fair enough, I'm not saying he didn't go missing in some games (the ones where he's coked up on mafia Charlie), but honestly could Robson play like Maradona?
Could he win a league title on his own? Could anyone else in fact?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Fair enough, I'm not saying he didn't go missing in some games (the ones where he's coked up on mafia Charlie), but honestly could Robson play like Maradona?

We'll find out in a week or so if Messi finally wants to be the man to knock Maradona off his perch. How many next Maradona's have we heard about in previous years; Aimar, Saviola, Ortega to name a few. All have failed to deliver when asked.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
For me the greatest.
Don't think anyone comes close to him for close control.
Love his juggling skills especially with a tennis ball (a certain Andy Murray is a bit deft at this too)

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

But could Maradona charm the knickers off of Claire Tomlinson in her prime.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I thought this was going to be a thread about Cat Power.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here