Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The refereeing at this World Cup has been...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
...on the whole very good I think. So far.

It seems the only FIFA directives this time around have been:

1) To let the game flow as much as possible.

2) Blow the whistle bang on when the allotted added on time is up.

I think they've got most of the big decisions right. The odd penalty decision that could have gone either way I suppose, but then you're always going to get that. For me the refereeing has been like a breath of fresh air, especially compared to my memory of previous tournaments. I don't think there's been a single game where the talking point has been the referee. Most have been anonymous, just like they should be.

What have you thought of it so far?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
And it's about time someone independent did the time keeping, as there's so much time wasting once a team has gone ahead.

On the whole think the refs have done pretty well, with a few exceptions.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Funny - I'm of the view that the officials at this World Cup have been very, very bad. Dodgy penalties, penalties that should have been awarded, dodgy offside calls, not a single yellow card as far as I am aware for simulation and I think just one for time wasting. I've also noticed lots of dodgy free-kick decisions during the general course of the game.

Refs also seem to blow right at the end of stoppage time no matter what has happened during said stoppage time which should extend it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm surprised at how late most games are settled. I think the refs have been pretty lenient personally.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
So angered was the Wall Street Journal by the diving taking place in this World Cup, they undertook a study to find out which team play-act the most. The newspaper calculated that during the first 32 games of the tournament, 302 players went to ground, apparently in pain.

These theatrics took up a total of 132 minutes of "writhing time". According to the report, there were nine genuine injuries in a total of 302, leaving 293 cases of "simulation".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28100892

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd say its been good to awful, with nothing inbetween. mostly good.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
And it's about time someone independent did the time keeping, as there's so much time wasting once a team has gone ahead.

On the whole think the refs have done pretty well, with a few exceptions.

The problem with that is currently the refs show the players when they have stopped the clock for time wasting

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Funny - I'm of the view that the officials at this World Cup have been very, very bad. Dodgy penalties, penalties that should have been awarded, dodgy offside calls, not a single yellow card as far as I am aware for simulation and I think just one for time wasting. I've also noticed lots of dodgy free-kick decisions during the general course of the game.

Disagree.

Refs also seem to blow right at the end of stoppage time no matter what has happened during said stoppage time which should extend it.

Agree.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So angered was the Wall Street Journal by the diving taking place in this World Cup, they undertook a study to find out which team play-act the most. The newspaper calculated that during the first 32 games of the tournament, 302 players went to ground, apparently in pain.

These theatrics took up a total of 132 minutes of "writhing time". According to the report, there were nine genuine injuries in a total of 302, leaving 293 cases of "simulation".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28100892

That's a very valid point. Unfortunately simulation is part of the game and previous attempts to eradicate it have failed to change things. I'm not entirely sure what can be done about it, short of book every single player suspected of it every single time until we finish games with fewer men than that infamous Portugal Holland game. If the refs are directed to do that and carry it through to the bitter end until things change then I'd back that, but it's in the game that there's an advantage to be gained from winning freekicks and so I'm not sure things will ever change.

I once saw a great graphic comparing cyclists' and footballers' attitude to injury. If I can find it and attach it I'll put it up. Basically, in cycling it pays to hide injuries, in football it's the opposite.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here we go:

p4pb10992739.jpg

The bottom picture is of Adriano Malori after a stage of this years Giro d'Italia. The next day was a time trial at which he excels. He took part knowing that his hopes of a decent finish on the stage was done. He also completed the remaining two stages after that to complete the race. Pro cyclists = proper hardmen! (and women).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Most world cups refs have been implementing new directives and amount of cards is crazy.

The fact refs have not been headlines has meant World Cup been up there with best ever

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The problem with that is currently the refs show the players when they have stopped the clock for time wasting

Not what I meant.

Have an official 'timekeeper' off the pitch, who stops the clock every time the ball goes out of play, or when a free kick is given.

I would guess at the moment, we get about 25 minutes actual football for every 45 minutes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not what I meant.

Have an official 'timekeeper' off the pitch, who stops the clock every time the ball goes out of play, or when a free kick is given.

I would guess at the moment, we get about 25 minutes actual football for every 45 minutes.

So you basically want American football then? A game would probably take over two hours to complete. Given that players usually start suffering cramps when games go to extra time, I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This world cup is deffo fixed! Some underground arsewipes are making a ridiculous amount of money on these results!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here