Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Need a bigger kitchen! Anyone know an architect?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Hi all,

Our kitchen is quite small, especially for a 3-bed house, so we'd like to make it bigger. Its at the front of the house and so far the three options we've come up with are:

• Move the downstairs loo and expand into that space (would require putting the loo elsewhere on the ground floor).
  • Convert the integrated garage
  • Extend the front of the house to level with the garage and create a porch inbetween.

We're a bit unsure which is the best option, how much each option is going to cost (if feasible of course), and whether losing a garage will come back to haunt us in the future if/when we come to sell (although even our smallish car you can't open the doors once you've got it in!) so think we need to get in a professional!

Can anyone recommend an architect for an initial consultation, with a view to getting plans etc drawn up in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Z

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hi all,

Our kitchen is quite small, especially for a 3-bed house, so we'd like to make it bigger. Its at the front of the house and so far the three options we've come up with are:

• Move the downstairs loo and expand into that space (would require putting the loo elsewhere on the ground floor).
  • Convert the integrated garage
  • Extend the front of the house to level with the garage and create a porch inbetween.

We're a bit unsure which is the best option, how much each option is going to cost (if feasible of course), and whether losing a garage will come back to haunt us in the future if/when we come to sell (although even our smallish car you can't open the doors once you've got it in!) so think we need to get in a professional!

Can anyone recommend an architect for an initial consultation, with a view to getting plans etc drawn up in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Z

I would suggest Belmont Designs (James Minett) http://www.belmont-designs.co.uk/contact_belmont_designs.php

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I would defo convert the integrated garage, as there will be no structural work, assuming the inside door is already there, therefore it will be by far the cheapest option. Remember, kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, not garages (I assume parking is not a problem).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Convert the garage , hardly anyone uses it to park their car inside unless the garage door is wide enough to actually get a car in and then open either the passenger or driver's door.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6428423 said:
I am an architect. :bigwave: but no longer live in the UK

There was an episode of Grand Designs Australia where a couple built their new house on the Sunshine Coast and the architect was based in Christchurch NZ , they liaised the plans online and through Skype conversations. :thumbsup:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

We do have parking as well so whilst there isn't an internal door to the garage already, but I'm definitely getting the hint that converting the garage would be the way to go! :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is currently doing some work for us on a house we are buying.

We were looking at some upstairs work, but his (first) proposal includes a re-working of some downstairs space to give a large kitchen/dining/family room. Give him a shout.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Cheers - I shall send him a PM

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...rs-top-20-ways-to-add-value-to-your-home.html

Number 4 = "Get rid of the garage
And turn it into living space. The fact is, 90 per cent of British garages don’t contain a car. They are a wasted asset"

So unless parking is difficult, get rid of it regardless of whether you use it for the kitchen.

Consider how expensive your location is, how much your house could be worth, and therefore how much it's wise to spend on it.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Architects cannot design kitchens, they haven't a clue.
Go to a proper kitchen designer who has experience in the building game.
Believe you me, I have spent many a time putting right architects f**k ups.
They are ok on the big scale, but lack the finesse required.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I'm also an Architect and would gladly help if I was tad more local. I do have a old mate who has his own architectural practice in Lewes. PM me if you want his contact details

I'm just in communication with Bold Seagull, but if that doesn't work out I may well be in touch - thank you!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Architects cannot design kitchens, they haven't a clue.
Go to a proper kitchen designer who has experience in the building game.
Believe you me, I have spent many a time putting right architects f**k ups.
They are ok on the big scale, but lack the finesse required.

Oh dear - that doesn't sound good! We're probably going to get the actual kitchen from Ikea, its more the interior/exterior changes that we need the architect for.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here