Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Sullivan personal battles

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/keeper-reveals-depression-affected-pompey-career-1-6148981

Hopefully he can pull through this and find a career that offers him better life satisfaction.

John-Sullivan-Charlton_2631919.jpg

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought this was going to be about Fools and Horses.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Shame and would not wish that on anyone all the best to him and hope he beats this and can get his career back on track

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Takes character to stick your head above the parapet and admit illness......remember Will Hoskins? Got precious little sympathy from a voluble minority :nono:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
His performance away to Leicester remains the best I've seen from an Albion keeper in 30 years.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
It's such a pity that his career has been cut short by this illness. I've met him a couple of times, and he's a good, honest bloke. I'm sure that we all wish John well for the future - whatever it may bring.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's such a pity that his career has been cut short by this illness. I've met him a couple of times, and he's a good, honest bloke. I'm sure that we all wish John well for the future - whatever it may bring.

Agreed. Depression is horrible.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I applaud him for realising that he needed to seek help, and for being courageous enough to speak out about his experience.

Good luck to him in his next chapter of life, whatever that may be.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Takes character to stick your head above the parapet and admit illness......remember Will Hoskins? Got precious little sympathy from a voluble minority :nono:

It's probably not really worth "sticking your head above the parapet", but I guess it would indicate that both are in a happier place, so any lack of sympathy will affect them nowt in the scheme of feeling less hopeless.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Depression is a cancer of the mind, it eats away and then has another nibble when you're not looking.

Frankly, it's a ******* and I'm so glad that people are now talking about it and not belittling it as used to happen.

It's an awful thing that I really wouldn't want the worst person on earth to go through.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
The thing that struck me about the article (other than his laudable honesty about the whole thing) was that his agent and the PFA, usually a role and an organisation that invites negativity, got him help within three days once he'd made his issues known.

I thought it worth pointing out as it shows that player welfare, especially in the case of depression, is being given the focus and attention that it deserves.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The thing that struck me about the article (other than his laudable honesty about the whole thing) was that his agent and the PFA, usually a role and an organisation that invites negativity, got him help within three days once he'd made his issues known.

I thought it worth pointing out as it shows that player welfare, especially in the case of depression, is being given the focus and attention that it deserves.

Yes indeed.

Depression is such a real issue.

It affects all around and has / can break up superb and loving families which is so very, very sad.

It's heartbreaking.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
My brother was a goal keeper at quite a high level.

He had huge levels of stress. Couldn't sleep, couldn't eat for days before a big game.

And when he made a mistake he was inconsolable, even if his team went on to win.

He probably did suffer from depression although it was never diagnosed.

He was a different person almost as soon as he gave football. Like the heaviest weight was lifted from his shoulders.

Good luck to John Sullivan making the same recovery my brother did.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here