Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have times changed?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm a child of the 70's and 80's, grew up on a council estate and lived and breathed football, but would NEVER go out to play it when a game was live on TV, let alone a World Cup game! You'd watch the game first then all go out to replay it with your mates, all pretending to be your favourite player and giving a running commentary as you played.

If memory serves me well, we only had the following live games:

FA CUP Final
European Cup Final
UEFA Cup Final
Cup Winners Cup Final
All World Cup finals games
All European Championship finals games.
Possibly Charity Shield?

Highlights:

Match of the Day - on a Saturday night.
The Big Match - on a Sunday afternoon.

Nowadays some kids have access to Sky and can watch live football virtually every day of the week it seems. So is this why the astro turf cage down the end of our road has kids playing on it instead of watching any of the above on telly :shrug: My lad has been down the cage on several occasions during a game in this World Cup. I know ultimately it's better to play anything yourself than watch someone else play, but even so, I just can't get my head around it.

Have times just changed?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As you say it's better that they are running around playing and getting exercise. You can't expect kids to watch every game from the World Cup! Heck even I haven't done that. Yes, times have changed!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Jumpers for goalposts, wasn't it isn't it? Rush goalie, ooh....gotta go home for me tea. Play till it gets dark, bump on the knee...witch hazel from a kindly neighbour. Bovril and rosettes, rattles and a wink from the local copper on duty.
Isn't it, wasn't it?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Southern Soccer. Basically Pompey every week with Ray Hiron and Albert McCann. No wonder we played outside all the time.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
favourite week was

FA Cup Final (Saturday)

European Cup Final (Wednesday)

England v Scotland (Saturday)

they even showed N.Ireland v England live from Windsor Park,but my old man used to turn over for the horse racing

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Is the op allowed on here? He said, bold as brass I might add, that he grew up on a council estate.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Used to hate my afternoon paper-round on FA Cup Final days. Streets were deserted except for paper boys.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Driving home the other day I noticed a lad walking along the pavement bouncing a football and at that moment it dawned on me I could not remember the last time I witnessed the same

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here