Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance stats

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Guessing these have been posted already..

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/AttendanceStats/0,,10794,00.html

Looks good for the Albion- top average attendance and total admissions. Just wondering how the club are doing financially- 623,522 tickets sold, lets say as a ballpark figure average price paid per ticket £25, makes a ticketing income of £15.6 million approx.

In 2012/2013 the club reported a wage bill of £21 million for the same period and a turnover of £23.4 million.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...p-club-accounts-profit-loss-and-the-wage-bill

Looks pretty healthy but the club still reported a £14.8 million loss that year.

I wonder how long the club will be happy to continue on like this before they decide to take a punt on paying more wages in an attempt to gain automatic promotion to the Prem? Just one season plus three years parachute payments could add £100 million to the coffers, and any additional spend on wages in the Prem would be entirely voluntary and at the discretion of the club.

Those in charge seem pretty happy bumbling around the top ten / play off spots for the foreseeable future. Changing managers every couple of years and not buying any players the managers want is really limiting any substantial progression at the moment. As a squad / team they are not much better off than they were 2011-2012, actually could be worse off depending who is signed between now and the 1st of September.

I know the club has moved forward massively over recent years but there is a huge issue with lack of ambition at the moment. I'm not sure how long the club will keep such high attendances unless they make move things forward on the pitch. At the moment it feels like the club are in stasis waiting for something to happen, and every year the prem clubs and those with access to parachute payments are moving further and further away financially. If the club does decide to push for promotion in 3-5 years time it could be a lot tougher then than it is now and has been for the last few seasons.

In the meantime I guess they can focus their efforts on the scheme to build a hotel at the Amex which whilst not improving things on the pitch, will provide a satisfying and distracting vanity project for those in charge..

Attachments

• 101.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 702

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Looks pretty healthy but the club still reported a £14.8 million loss that year.

I wonder how long the club will be happy to continue on like this before they decide to take a punt on paying more wages in an attempt to gain automatic promotion to the Prem? Just one season plus three years parachute payments could add £100 million to the coffers, and any additional spend on wages in the Prem would be entirely voluntary and at the discretion of the club.

Poppycock.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I wonder how long the club will be happy to continue on like this before they decide to take a punt on paying more wages in an attempt to gain automatic promotion to the Prem?

Not until over half the league aren't doing the same thing. I'm all for taking a risk but chucking money at it whilst everyone else is as well is asking for trouble

Changing managers every couple of years and not buying any players the managers want is really limiting any substantial progression at the moment. As a squad / team they are not much better off than they were 2011-2012, actually could be worse off depending who is signed between now and the 1st of September.

Shall we wait until 1 September, then? We are miles better off than we were before the 2011-12 season as well, as far as the playing staff goes with the added bonus that the academy is 2 years closer to full production

there is a huge issue with lack of ambition at the moment

A huge problem? Really? Who's saying that then?

If the club does decide to push for promotion in 3-5 years time it could be a lot tougher then than it is now and has been for the last few seasons.

Or we might have neucleus of ex-academy players on reasonable wages, who only require a few older heads brought in on big money.

The message from me is a resolute don't panic. There's no point losing sleep about it now, realisitically I don't think we are in a position to be demanding automatic promotion, which makes the playoffs the realistic target. We have made the playoffs the last two years and that should be the aim this year, whilst also working hard to make this a financially self-sufficient club, whilst maintaining season ticket numbers.

They've done alright so far.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
In the meantime I guess they can focus their efforts on the scheme to build a hotel at the Amex which whilst not improving things on the pitch, will provide a satisfying and distracting vanity project for those in charge..

A vanity project that will attempt to increase revenue for the club as a whole which can then go towards playing staff. Are you just stupid or on a wind-up?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
What's the change in attendance over the last season. ?

Average 27,110 compared with 26,024 in 2012/13 (+4%).

We had 23,175 STHs. It will be interesting to see how many we start this season with, I suspect it will be down a little bit.

The FL data tables are all over the place, full of errors, mind so I'm not sure what we should believe in the headline stats.

PG

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You'd need the club to be owned by some sort of gambler for that to happen........

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Personally I don't have a problem with life in the Championship- just frustrating that the club's PR spin (as I understand it) is that they will push for promotion, but there is little to suggest that this is a realistic objective given the quality of the squad and the short-termism which is inevitable with regular changes at management level.

If the long term plan is championship football, it might be suggested that ticket prices (especially match day tickets as opposed to season tickets) are on the pricey side, and it may be that attendances will drop slightly in the years to come rather than rise.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
As for the hotel, how much will it cost to design, get permission for and build, and how much profit is it projected it will it make per year? If anyone has an idea of those figures I would interested to see how long it will take for the club to earn back what it costs and start making a profit.

Even then there is no guarantees on where that profits would go; the owners would be perfectly entitled to put it in their back pocket rather than re-invest it into the club or spend it on players wages / transfer fees.

So, would the hotel idea improve chances of success on the pitch? We don't know.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
but there is little to suggest that this is a realistic objective

Aside from the two top 6 finishes?

the short-termism which is inevitable with regular changes at management level.

Our set up, love it or hate it is precisely to avoid this type of short termism. The manager isn't as important to long term planning as he may be elsewhere.

You seem a reasonable chap, stop worrying at the moment. The club's in good hands and we'll be there or thereabouts again.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We have a great attendance and our expectations have been raised by reaching the play offs twice in two seasons. I feel we will now see more of the development squad and from what I have seen some of them are able to make that step up, I just hope we get a good start because this division is finely balanced, I wouldn't want our new manager to be struggling. But please, please can we have something a little more forward looking than some of the football we have seen over the past three seasons. I'm personally not one who would like us to attempt to buy our way to promotion as this will have only one ending if it doesn't go to plan.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/AttendanceStats/0,,10794,00.html

I know the club has moved forward massively over recent years but there is a huge issue with lack of ambition at the moment. I'm not sure how long the club will keep such high attendances unless they make move things forward on the pitch. At the moment it feels like the club are in stasis waiting for something to happen, and every year the prem clubs and those with access to parachute payments are moving further and further away financially. If the club does decide to push for promotion in 3-5 years time it could be a lot tougher then than it is now and has been for the last few seasons.

What a crock of crap. No ambition? You may just have missed the brand new stadium we are playing in and the new £30m American Express Elite Performance Centre (pauses for breath) that has opened today. You may also have missed the two playoff runs we have completed and the massive increase in player wages. There is no lack of ambition at the club. We are a very ambitious club, but we are not fiscally irresponsible one.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
As for the hotel, how much will it cost to design, get permission for and build, and how much profit is it projected it will it make per year? If anyone has an idea of those figures I would interested to see how long it will take for the club to earn back what it costs and start making a profit.

That is a total irrelevance as any money used building it etc. cannot be used by the club to spend on players under FFP!

It is predicted to make £30 squillion a month, all of which is earmarked for a effing huge school which will teach idiots like you a few simple facts that you seem unable to grasp. Money well spent, I'd say.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Personally I don't have a problem with life in the Championship- just frustrating that the club's PR spin (as I understand it) is that they will push for promotion, but there is little to suggest that this is a realistic objective given the quality of the squad and the short-termism which is inevitable with regular changes at management level.

If the long term plan is championship football, it might be suggested that ticket prices (especially match day tickets as opposed to season tickets) are on the pricey side, and it may be that attendances will drop slightly in the years to come rather than rise.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, but let's do the economics:

27,110 average crowd.
23,175 STHs (which includes 1901 etc)
1,089 visiting fans

Which leaves an average ticket sales of 2,846 per game. So, you are on the inelastic part of the demand curve for one-off match attendance, which means if you drop the price you get a reduction in income. Left hand of these graphs if anyone is interested.
http://lf-oll.s3.amazonaws.com/titles/2491/lf1538-02_figure_008.jpg

I would be willing to bet that of the STH numbers registered, more than 2,846 per game are non-STHs using STH tickets. Some of these are sold on the grey market, most are to friends given away or at below cost price (give us a tenner mate...). Most non-STHs know people who have tickets available on a casual basis. This is why we sell relatively few matchday tickets. Now what the club try to do is segment the market by things like the student ticket offer, as they are less likely to know STHs and have a more elastic income response. But it's hard to segment the market perfectly, to capture everyone's willingness to pay.

Sorry about the jargon etc. What I'm trying to say is I don't think the club will drop standard matchday ticket prices anytime soon. They may, however, think about tightening up on use of STHs by others than the named seatholder. Personally, I think that would be a mistake: I think a number of STHs renew because they know they can pass on spare seats when they can't go; or, there are more formal sharing arrangements (I share with me bruvver, it's his turn next week...). I keep a seat for my 19yo who is away at Uni because I know I can pass it on when he's not around.

PG

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Re FFP- I'm not suggesting reckless spending as the way forward, but any fine dished out under FFP rules is likely to be outweighed by £100 million in tv money and three years of parachute payments, even if you only last 1 year in the Prem.

FFP has appeared and is a god send for owners who want to spend cautiously and blame it on someone else.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Re FFP- I'm not suggesting reckless spending as the way forward, but any fine dished out under FFP rules is likely to be outweighed by £100 million in tv money and three years of parachute payments, even if you only last 1 year in the

If it works, yes. But how many teams have tried to buy their way out of this division and failed? Loads. What if it doesn't work the first year? Or the second year? Or the third? What happens then? All of a sudden you have another Portsmouth on your hands. Personally, I'd rather the Chairman didn't gamble with the future of the club to chase something that we should be able to achieve sustainably, even if it takes a bit longer. Fortunately, Mr Bloom agrees.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
As per my previous comment, I'm happy with the Championship and it looks like most people (club and fans) share this view. Time to forget about the Prem or any trophies- it's unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
FFP has appeared and is a god send for owners who want to spend cautiously and blame it on someone else.

It is indeed. However, do I read an implication that you think that TB is such an owner? If so, you may want to have a listen to a very recent (his most recent?) interview in which he explicitly states that there is a further vote upcoming among league clubs on what the FFP limits should be for this season and that if the limits are increased, Sami's playing budget will go up accordingly.

So, it very much looks like our adherence is principally down to TB wanting us to follow the rules laid down by the league.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here