Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Day Sussex Died

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Haven't seen this mentioned on here this morning, but apologies if it has been and I missed it.

Spare a thought today for those who took part in the Royal Sussex Regiment's ill-fated attack on the Boar's Head on this day in 1916, perhaps the epitome of a First World War waste of lives. There's more here for those interested: http://www.battlefields1418.com/boars_head.htm

The three South Downs battalions who were so badly mauled were overwhelmingly made up of Sussex men, many of them very young, and they'll have often "marched along" to Sussex By The Sea - perhaps worth a thought too, then, when we all hear it next at the Amex.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Somebody put this link on a few months back. A very worthwhile read and it never ceases to amaze me how brave those men were. As it states: ..there can have been few places in Sussex that were unaffected by the losses..."

May 12, 2009
My great-great uncle was in the 11th Battalion. Survived this attack only to be killed in September.

There's an excellent book on the subject by John Baines.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Can you post a summary of events?

The major Allied offensive of 1916, the Battle of the Somme, opened on July 1st and in northern France the South Downs battalions were tasked with carrying out one of a number of diversionary attacks the day before, to keep the Germans guessing about where the main offensive would fall. They were to take a well-defended salient known as the Boar's Head, attacking with two battalions (12th and 13th) with a third (11th) in reserve.

The three South Downs battalions were "Pal's Battalions", made up mostly of troops who had volunteered at the start of the war (or as soon as they were old enough or could lie convincingly enough about their age), and who were therefore serving with men from their own towns and villages. Each battalion was approximately a thousand men organised into companies of about 230, and a company was often recruited from a particular town or collection of villages so A Company might be mostly men from Eastbourne, for example.

The Sussex men were unfamiliar with the area and the Germans were very well dug-in and supported, and were expecting an attack (the preparatory artillery barrage had begun a week previously, a sign the Germans recognised), and it was clear to the men and officers involved that they were doomed from the start. Representations were made to more senior officers to cancel the attack, but it was decided it would go ahead regardless.

The battalions paraded the night before and entered the trenches, and worked all night trying to cut the wire in No Man's Land. Just as the men were to go over the top at 3.05am the British assault barrage began, shelling the German front lines; the Germans immediately replied and caused heavy casualties amongst the Sussex men assembled in their trenches for the attack. The two attacking battalions then climbed out of the trenches and as soon as the British barrage lifted from the front line to the German support lines, the German troops manned their parapets and opened fire with rifles and machine guns. Both battalions were mown down as they struggled across No Mon's Land, those that made it that far coming across largely uncut wire directly in front of the German front line; a few fought their way in, but to no avail (CSM Carter of 12th Bn won the VC doing so). The reserve battalion sent a company in to support the doomed attack and it, too, suffered a similar fate. In the current debate about "was the First World War really like Blackadder Goes Forth", this day's work looks very like a tick in the "yes" column...

Given the local recruitment of the South Downs battalions, the impact on Sussex was huge, of course: 379 men were killed and 749 were wounded, many terribly so, that morning. Paul Reed's website (I posted a link to it earlier) has chapter and verse on the South Downs battalions and is well worth a look - I've taken most of this above from it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Haven't seen this mentioned on here this morning, but apologies if it has been and I missed it.

Spare a thought today for those who took part in the Royal Sussex Regiment's ill-fated attack on the Boar's Head on this day in 1916, perhaps the epitome of a First World War waste of lives. There's more here for those interested: http://www.battlefields1418.com/boars_head.htm

The three South Downs battalions who were so badly mauled were overwhelmingly made up of Sussex men, many of them very young, and they'll have often "marched along" to Sussex By The Sea - perhaps worth a thought too, then, when we all hear it next at the Amex.

Amen. Well said, and thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

I have to admit, that despite being a Sussex resident now for 25 years, and having supported the Albion for even longer, it was only earlier this year, one hundred years after the onset of the First World War, that l learned of the massive loss of Sussex lives, that was the battle at Boar's Head, and this has sparked a real interest in the war for me.

RIP to all those who gave their lives there.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
My Grandad was part of the mounted regiment, how they thought horse charges would overcome bullets dismays me... he never ever talked about the war and hated poppy day because he believed that most of the deaths were avoidable and thought that glorified them ... weird how it affected survivors in different ways

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Went to the cemetery last year with the GF whose relative was buried there, found the grave and lots of info for her. so many small cemeteries spread out in the area it would be easy to miss the one you were looking for. Really well kept and maintained though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Maybe Ben Duncan should have a read of that before he starts any more of his disgusting commenting.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
wrong thread

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A new memorial to the Sussex cricketers who gave their lives in the two world wars is being unveiled at Hove on Sunday.

A long overdue tribute but well done to those who have made it happen now. The Last Post will be played by a young bugler at a ceremony during the luncheon interval.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here